Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying some fancy Utric seed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying some fancy Utric seed

As bad as I generally am with seed I've got the bug in my bottom to try some of these big and beautiful utrics I fawn over pictures of and would like to get going in my vivariums. Seed will take plenty of time to get anything going enough to transplant some in the vivs I'm sure but it's economical at least, IF it works out.

I should be receiving seed of the following shortly:

U. quelchii
    U. praetermissa
    U. nelumbifolia
    U. alpina (big flower form)

I was planning to fill up small 3" net pots with ground LFS, fine bark and perhaps some fine grit for drainage, not sure if the cherrystone might make it too heavy for the young stolons so I may just do the bark and shredded LFS. I can use live LFS ontop of the pot if that would be better to sow on. Does anyone think the net pots should sit in maybe 1/4" of water until I see signs of germination on the surface then allow them to start drying to just moist conditions as for neps/helis?

Any tips for working with these seed would be much appreciated as I've never tried Utrics from seed before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swords,
    If these are coming from the European guy (Czech?) off eBay, the U. nelumbifolia are likely to be toast based on the harvest date the guy gave me. Let us know if you get any germinations on the others...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen that post Frenchy that's what gave me the big idea to try them! LOL

How quickly does one generally see germination in these species? Someone has a time-lapse GIF of nelumbifolia germination on the Cp photosite but it doesn't mention a time period.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would imagine the seeds being very hard to locate due to their small size. may i suggest that you germinate them on a moist paper towel? this ensures easy viewing and you'll know if the seeds made it or not, rather than losing them in the peat and never knowing. once that is successful, you may transplant them onto a media you desire.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    How quickly does one generally see germination in these species? Someone has a time-lapse GIF of nelumbifolia germination on the Cp photosite but it doesn't mention a time period.
    In my meager experience with these guys, they are not all created equal. U. nelumbifolia & U. humboldtii seeds act like gelatin-coated baby plants. The 'gelatin' dissolves in less than 24 hrs (I had a few take 2 days) and off they go. I received some others in a trade with a Brazillian grower and they were DOA (3 week shipping). I received lots of seeds (100-300?) and not one sprouted.

I have not germinated any of the others listed. U. nephrophylla & U. longifolia took close to a month (3-4 weeks) before I found seedlings but a knowledgeable friend said that I should normally see growth before that...
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    i would imagine the seeds being very hard to locate due to their small size. may i suggest that you germinate them on a moist paper towel?
    The European distributor of U. campbelliana sowed his on sterile cotton for this reason, something I plan to do the next time I try to grow them ....
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a post I could have sworn was on the CPUK site but I can't find it for the life of me now... It had some time lapse macros of the germination process. The whole procedure didn't to take more than 24hrs, I don't remember the species though... I'm sure it must vary by species though.
    I received some U. nelumbifolia seedlings from a good friend and have been meaning to transplant to a mix more like what Travis recommended in the post linked above but I keep putting it off... Right now mine are in wet LFS which sits in water about 1/4 of the way up in HL conditions. Fairly slow growing but they seem to be doing all right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe from now on we should start shipping Utric seeds in most paper towels then?
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast