What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My utricularia seed attempt

Well I finally got my seed from hmm hmm hmm and have decided to start them on squares of paper towel to see if I can spot germination and then move them to some live moss or even try some assorted soil experiments, moss, live moss, peat, etc.

I found this perfect little divided clear bin at the container store for $1.99 cover fits nicely without having to be yanked open. I was going to put LFS in each compartment but I like the idea that I can see if anything has happened and then transplant them.

utricseedstarter.jpg

I was gladdened to still see some green on these U. nelubifolia seeds, so maybe there is a slight chance of something good happening. Probably will know tomorrow from what people said about germination speed in my other post.

unelubifolia1.jpg

U. alpina "Henry Pittier" big flower form Anyone growing this and know how much bigger the flower is from the normal alpina flower?

ualpina1.jpg

U. praetermissa

upraetermissa.jpg

U. quelchii

uquelchii1.jpg

Have you used anything to prevent fungus?
Anytime i have tried something like this with paper towel, fungus covers everything before the seeds get a chance to germinate.

I have not, what would you suggest as far as an organic non-toxic fungal preventative? I can't use any chemical fungicides or pesticides in my plant area since they are growing near the critter vivariums. Will a light dusting of calcium sulfate be enough?

i think the trick is to keep the seeds damp but not slopping wet. @swords: did you get your seed dry or moist?

When I opened the envelope the packets felt slightly cool so I think the paper they were wrapped in inside the little baggies was very humid like a newspaper left on a covered porch in the rain that soaks up the ambient humidity but not any actual water. I was shocked to see green on some of the nelumbifolia and not just all mini triscuts as the packet was in the mail a good 2+ weeks. I think it was shipped July 5th.

o_O --- 2 weeks? humboltii would have definitely kicked the bucket.

im curious about the quelchii. please post pictures once the seedlings have grown and established themselves--- it'd be nice to have a compare and contrast.

I have a U. quelchii and an unidentified grassy leaved orchidioides sp. (very long thin leaves) from DD that I'm hoping will get established in little death trappariums while I play with these seeds. Right now they both look pretty sad being planted only a week or so ago. I will post when some new leaves (hopefully) come up on these two starts.

Back