What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Novel ways of growing your Utrics?

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
I was curious if anyone has pics of different ways they are growing their utrics, like on logs, rocks, etc?

I am interested in doing this in some upcoming builds and will take any inspiration I can get. Already been looking at CP PF but was curious if anyone has anything not up there.

Barry notes that U. nephrophylla is lithophytic so it may be particularly suited to an unusual application (& those white flowers are one of my faves).

I've been pondering doing something with my U. livida since it's very free-flowering. The usual suspect for trying something different is U. sandersonii due to it's flowering & growing abilities. Best of luck - share pics!!

I'm planning on trying rockwool and some other artificial medias. Haven't started yet but I'll be sure to post about it.
~Joe

Picture001-31.jpg

A lot of utrics take well to slow moving areas in water fountains, especially if you have kind of a flat area where the water trickles over.

-Hermes.

you've already seen mine...but just in case...lol (sorry---blatant shameless self promotion)
purple-pinkflower-gram.jpg

DSCN3142.jpg

I'm planning on trying rockwool and some other artificial medias. Haven't started yet but I'll be sure to post about it.
~Joe

I have used rockwool (and just set up a new tank using rockwool today), every Utric. I've tried with it will not grow into the rockwool it is just too dense. They will grow ontop of it or around it thou, if you cut slits or holes they will go into those areas.

I almost bought some sponges to play with a few days ago but didn't.

A lava rock waterfall with some U. nephrophylla in it would look really nice I would think.

Got some UG from an aquarium store, that stuff was grown on rockwool and growing straight through it.

JimScott, can we get a sideview of that tank?

WOW nice tanka trics!!!!

How about trying to grow some species in a bowl of clear glass marbles? I never did it but think it would be interesting as the marbles might magnify the traps. Got the idea from Tim Malcom.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to be growing some nephrophylla or tricolor on a rock wall in a new vampire crab tank. The depressions and spaces inbetween the fake rock will be smeared with my mud (kitty litter & peat) and soaked daily so there is a wet area for the utric and mosses, liverworts and stuff to get going on.

I have a big U. longifolia in a fishbowl of LFS that I copied from Av8tor. Works nicely but where there is light there are leaves as well as roots, not sure if marbles would make the whole soil lit up and there wouldn't be many traps but mostly leaves. If you made paper sheath to wrap the bowl perhaps it would keep the sides dark enough for just traps and not leaves.

Back