Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: US retailers (rant warning)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a few people here who have given VERY freely and even offered without being asked!
    I know a couple of these folks and they are participating in this very thread - I can't say thanks enough!

I too would like to see more exotic utrics widely available over here. Is it perhaps a difficulty of rearing enough material of these rarer/larger/slower moving species by one or two persons? From reading around the sites, it seems those two big companies overseas are more like a collective of smaller growers who all sell their plants through those guys as a "CP farmers market" sort of thing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do agree that it's primarily about demand. Were there a larger desire for site-specific Sarracenia, for example, we'd see that; so too rarer Nepenthes, Heliamphora, and Utricularia, which have been far more popular in Europe and Asia until fairly recently.

Even so, ninety percent of my "newer' plants and seeds come from overseas . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    I do agree that it's primarily about demand. Were there a larger desire for site-specific Sarracenia, for example, we'd see that; so too rarer Nepenthes, Heliamphora, and Utricularia, which have been far more popular in Europe and Asia until fairly recently.

Even so, ninety percent of my "newer' plants and seeds come from overseas . . .
    Yeah it's a bummer having to order from oversees for almost every order. I guess more expensive plants or rare plants would require a little bit more work to acquire, but I mean...there really aren't retailers who have N.macrophylla or H.nutans or U.nelumbifolia available all the time anywhere in N.America.

I can see how the cost of maintaining the more finicky plants might outweigh the want to have them in your selection...but the bigger European places manage to keep themselves running. I guess they get orders from all over the world though, and at this point the cost of startup over here to do the same would probably be crippling. I guess I can see a couple of sides to this. Europe has been at it longer, so they got there first, so they did establish buyers, and jumping into the market now over here would be painful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in all reality the cp hobby is a small one.....since the over seas companies will ship to the US its hard for a US company to start up other than being a reseller......small market with limited demand, to many places to buy and all the sudden everyone has trouble making a business out of it.....that and this hobby has a pretty high turn over rate, younger kids get interested in them and as soon as they discover girls or head to college they lose interest.....for every 20 new members that join up only one or 3 will be here in 3 or so years......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what a sad statistic....i some how kept with the hobby despite the whole college disaster where i lost my entire collection...let's see if im here 2 years from now XD
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually its about that way for most hobbies, especially ones with younger kids starting in it.....as with everything life gets in the way and time gets short.....school, girl/boy friends, wives, kids careers get in the way....just the way life goes....thats why i have a high die off rate, if the plant cant thrive on neglect it aint gonna live long....
    cervid serial killer
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems like things with fancy utrics that have a small following, you really aren't going to be able to buy it anytime soon and it will be just isolated with various hard-core cultivationists that you have to be in the know to be able to trade for it else you won't be able to get any. I think that's good though, because a lot of them do require special care and if you *have* been around the rest of the CP community for a year or five to make friends with most of the growers, you probably know how to grow reasonably well with low attrition rate, and people will be willing to trade you some and you'll know who to ask. Even if there are plants that are outrageously priced, you know someone who doesn't know how to grow at all it will buy it anyway for having "a cool plant" and waste their money and kill the plant (OMG when I was first starting out, RIP poor alocasias and drosera and everything else I killed ).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    another thing to keep in mind some species aint as easy as they appear to get started from a division.....aureomaculata is a good one.....i recieved this from Tim Malcom back when i was getting started in the hobby.....looking back i have no clue why it did not just up and die on me when i first got it.....

when i first got the plug it acclimated and started growing fine for me, infact it wasnt long before it became a weed....the species grows similar to sandersoni, kinda on the substrate more than in it and will send stolons air born into the neighbor pot.....in the close to 3 years i had this plant i sent plugs to around 18 ppl....most of them were a tack on to a different trade or it was one of a dozen Utrics....got a few responses that the plant didnt establish for them so i would send out a second plug....no big deal it grew like a weed for me....

bout the last 6 months i had it i could not find a single person i sent it to that it had established for so i thought what the heck ill get bigger plugs established and send them out potted.....even grown side by side to the parent pot i could not get another pot of it going.....eventually the soil in the original pot broke down and the plant was lost.....no clue why neither i nor anyone else i sent material to could get it established again.....

some other Utrics seem to do best if you start with a large division, if thats the case very few divisions get taken cause you have to wait for the parent plant to grow back to original size.......just cause you can get livida or sandersonii going from tiny plugs dont make it so for every species in the genus.....alot of time put in by many people may be needed to get very many of a certain species out in general cultivation...........
    cervid serial killer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast