User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What terrestrial Utrics can grow submersed under water, permanently?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What terrestrial Utrics can grow submersed under water, permanently?

Hey guys, I was wondering what terrestrial Utricularia (or even Genlisea) can grow under water, permanently? I know that U. graminifolia can grow submersed permanently and it is now a popular aquarium plant!

Can anyone give me any info on utrics that grow well under water? I am not looking for aquatic utricularia that can grow attached and grow as rheophytes, like U. volubilis (IIRC), but I am looking for terrestrial utricularia that are usually grown in pots with media, but can when totally submersed in water.

I do not mean utrics that can tolerate occasional flooding and temporary submersion, but rather utrics that can grow under water permanently.

Here is a picture of U. graminifolia growing underwater in nutrient-rich substrate. It grows REALLY fast!

http://img232.imageshack.us/i/img5929wp7.jpg

As you can see, the submerged photosynthetic stolons are totally different than the emersed photosynthetic stolons. It's elongated and sort of waves with the current like a field of wheat.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm hoping dichotoma so I can get the stuff out of my pots and into my tanks.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to consider utrics that are lithophytes. I know dichotoma enjoys flooding (even for weeks), but I don't know if it will survive permanently under water. Lithophytes do well in flowing water where is good gas exchange.

-Hermes.
    "The grass withers, the flower fades. But the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8)

My Grow List Updated Oct 22/2010.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have some various terrestrial utric species on hand just take a pinch and try it. With the CO2 injection and bright lighting on your tank you likely have a better shot at acclimating it than someone like me just putting some in Flourite at the bottom of a 6" fish bowl and crossing their fingers.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol, I like the way you said the part about putting fluorite in a dfish bowl and crossing your fingers lol.

I have no utrics, I never got into them, anyone have spare U. dichotoma?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll list the ones that have grown into the water and stay underwater, I have not tried to grow these underwater by intent the plant itself went there.

U. sandersonii 'blue' - Oddly enough only the 'blue' clone not the typical sandersonii's, the underwater portion has a bit of algea with it but its been submerged for 6+ months.

U. longifolia - umm yea the "root" mass and smaller leaves are completely submerged. Larger leaves grow out.

U. graminifolia - duh.

The U. quelchii/tricolor plant that is being passed around - I am growing some divisions of this plant completetly submerged and some of my main plants sent runners into the water to grow leaves. 2+ months

These are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. I'll add more this weekend when watering if I find anymore.