Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Utricularia blooming for me now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    U. fulva
    What are you doing growing a lowlander on a mountain? (Beautiful flowers btw - for some reason, I never noticed the pointy rabbit ears before - go figure).

and give this weed his due he is nice and sunny yellow on a dreary overcast rainy day - U. subulata
    Omigod - hide the kids! Cover the pots!! You're much braver than me ...

U. biloba Found the dormant buds of the flower stalk will also sprout and produce flowers
    I totally love the U. biloba colors - beautiful!!

The thick rounded spur reminds me a lot of the spur on U. uniflora - very interesting!.

Quote Originally Posted by UnstuckinTime View Post
    that U. longifolia spike is nothing short of amazing. What are your growing conditions for it? Do you do anything special to trigger a blossom?
    Last year I studied a number of threads on blooming U. longifolia. Some very experienced growers could never get it to flower and some noobs had flowering plants. After re-reading the threads, it seemed that the noobs were windowsill growers and the experienced growers w/o blooms were growing under lights w/o a 'natural' photoperiod. To test that hypothesis, I set up a pot on my windowsill (I hadn't previously had a U. longifolia flower) .... and, sure enough, come spring - I had flowers for months - very cool! Just based on this rudimentary experiment, I suspect that seasonal photoperiod change is important to flowering. However, I can't rule out some temperature clues helping the process since the pots were on a windowsill (although one pot under lights with a carefully adjusted photoperiod also flowered). This year, the U. longifolia is just now sending up a flower stalk and the adjacent U. praelonga also appears to be sending up 2 or 3. (Later: as of 3/14, the other longifolia has also sprouted a stalk)
    Last edited by RL7836; 03-14-2011 at 07:42 AM.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    awwww....purdy.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Last year I studied a number of threads on blooming U. longifolia. Some very experienced growers could never get it to flower and some noobs had flowering plants. After re-reading the threads, it seemed that the noobs were windowsill growers and the experienced growers w/o blooms were growing under lights w/o a 'natural' photoperiod. To test that hypothesis, I set up a pot on my windowsill (I hadn't previously had a U. longifolia flower) .... and, sure enough, come spring - I had flowers for months - very cool! Just based on this rudimentary experiment, I suspect that seasonal photoperiod change is important to flowering. However, I can't rule out some temperature clues helping the process since the pots were on a windowsill (although one pot under lights with a carefully adjusted photoperiod also flowered). This year, the U. longifolia is just now sending up a flower stalk and the adjacent U. praelonga also appears to be sending up 2 or 3.
    So.... what you're saying is.... I'm still a noob? Indeed, my one and only flowering experience with this species was at a window sill, which doesn't have wide swings of temperature differential, but it does get the change in photoperiod. Not sure how much it's losing through light that shines through glass, though.

Coincidentally, I have a pot of U. longifolia (different colony that flowered) that came from our topic's author, that is part utric and part D. paradoxa. That pot is in the terrarium setup. Both species are doing well. I think I need to separate them out and get the utric at the window sill... and it's going to be easier to remove (and disturb) the sundew.

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

From last year:

From last month:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aloha Jim,
    i tried that several times to eliminate the U. longifolia from those D. paradoxa. Might be easier to just clone the D. paradoxa....

U. nelumbifolia

U. juncea. this one looks very similar to U. odorata just it is huge in terms of flower and flower stalk. Also it was stingy with flowers so i may not have the right conditions to get this one to bloom very well. Form is from Florida

Last edited by kulamauiman; 03-12-2011 at 02:54 PM.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful flowers.... again! For the moment, they coexist rather nicely. They aint broke...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooooh
    I suppose I typically overlook pondscum..er...utrics, but they do make some gorgeous flowers, for sure! Definitely a treat :3

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice Utricularia collection! It's really impressive. I bet small aquatic/semi aquatic soil critters stand NO chance in your yard.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the yard proper most years is dry and dusty. This has been one of the wettest winters in the past few years and it is nice to have rain. Thanks guys and gals. Will add more this weekend I hope....

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast