What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some Utricularia blooming for me now

U. longifolia
DSC_00090004.jpg

U. dichotoma
DSC_00310009.jpg

U. gibba?

DSC_00180001_1.jpg

Simply enviable! My U. gibba continues to bloom, in spite fo fall temps and declinng photoperiod... just not as much as the middle of summer.

that U. longifolia spike is nothing short of amazing. What are your growing conditions for it? Do you do anything special to trigger a blossom?

Wow...nice purple ruffles! :p

that U. longifolia spike is nothing short of amazing. What are your growing conditions for it? Do you do anything special to trigger a blossom?
i think it is temperature related. Not sure. U. longifolia I have kept indoors under lights, constant temp have never bloomed. The ones kept outside have been non stop this year. I have a bunch of new spikes forming. But this year temps and weather have been weird.....

U. nelumbifolia photo taken today 12/17/2010

DSC_02840001.jpg

taken a ways back:

DSC_00460001-1.jpg

Maybe cooler nights are affecting these guys as well. The recent blooms seem to be a bit more blue/purple

oh holy sweetness---looks like utric fever has swept TF!

The orchids of the CP world......

Maybe cooler nights are affecting these guys as well. The recent blooms seem to be a bit more blue/purple
Yup - definitely darker - very beautiful! (You've seen Herr Fleischmann's explanation of this - right?)

How often does your plant bloom? It seems like it was flowering both before & after mine?

Yup - definitely darker - very beautiful! (You've seen Herr Fleischmann's explanation of this - right?)

How often does your plant bloom? It seems like it was flowering both before & after mine?
yes. the increased anthocyanin production when thee are warm days and cool nights make sense. Sort of same reason why people grow strawberries and wine grapes in the locations that they do. These same conditions increase the sugars produced and stored in the fruits.

This is another pot of the same clone. So not the same clump that is blooming. However, i suspect that the conditions that favor blooming (max or min temperatures) are still going on for me. But these past few years the weather has been wonky. All summer it was 70ish in the day and 50's at night. Same as spring and fall. We had a few days recently that the overnight went down to the high 40s. But back up again. Doesn't quite feel like winter has arrive yet on the mountain......

those ARE very blue! especially the pic with your finger in it. which one on the bottom are the flowerstalks? it looks very similar to what i have right now.

the one with my finger is the oldest flowers. None of those are flower stalks. i cant quite compose them in the pot right. It seems like they are putting up multi branched leafy stolons

the one with my finger is the oldest flowers. None of those are flower stalks. i cant quite compose them in the pot right. It seems like they are putting up multi branched leafy stolons
Check out the pic of the plant on the guys hand in this thread - very unusual growth habit.

Do you grow yours as a lowlander? Incredibly beautiful/colorful flowers!

U. fulva
DSC_00110002_1.jpg

DSC_00120003_1.jpg

DSC_00100001_4.jpg

DSC_00100001_4.jpg

U. biloba Found the dormant buds of the flower stalk will also sprout and produce flowers
DSC_00130004.jpg

DSC_00140005.jpg

u. odorata
DSC_00160007.jpg

DSC_00180008.jpg

and give this weed his due he is nice and sunny yellow on a dreary overcast rainy day
U. subulata
DSC_00220009.jpg

DSC_00250010.jpg

Oooh, pretty flowers!

amphirion, paging amphirion to the utrics page :p

What are you doing growing a lowlander on a mountain? :-O (Beautiful flowers btw - for some reason, I never noticed the pointy rabbit ears before - go figure).

and give this weed his due he is nice and sunny yellow on a dreary overcast rainy day - U. subulata
Omigod - hide the kids! Cover the pots!! :-)) You're much braver than me ...

U. biloba Found the dormant buds of the flower stalk will also sprout and produce flowers
I totally love the U. biloba colors - beautiful!! :hail:

The thick rounded spur reminds me a lot of the spur on U. uniflora - very interesting!.

Last year I studied a number of threads on blooming U. longifolia. Some very experienced growers could never get it to flower and some noobs had flowering plants. After re-reading the threads, it seemed that the noobs were windowsill growers and the experienced growers w/o blooms were growing under lights w/o a 'natural' photoperiod. To test that hypothesis, I set up a pot on my windowsill (I hadn't previously had a U. longifolia flower) .... and, sure enough, come spring - I had flowers for months - very cool! Just based on this rudimentary experiment, I suspect that seasonal photoperiod change is important to flowering. However, I can't rule out some temperature clues helping the process since the pots were on a windowsill (although one pot under lights with a carefully adjusted photoperiod also flowered). This year, the U. longifolia is just now sending up a flower stalk and the adjacent U. praelonga also appears to be sending up 2 or 3. :banana2: (Later: as of 3/14, the other longifolia has also sprouted a stalk)

Last edited:
Last year I studied a number of threads on blooming U. longifolia. Some very experienced growers could never get it to flower and some noobs had flowering plants. After re-reading the threads, it seemed that the noobs were windowsill growers and the experienced growers w/o blooms were growing under lights w/o a 'natural' photoperiod. To test that hypothesis, I set up a pot on my windowsill (I hadn't previously had a U. longifolia flower) .... and, sure enough, come spring - I had flowers for months - very cool! Just based on this rudimentary experiment, I suspect that seasonal photoperiod change is important to flowering. However, I can't rule out some temperature clues helping the process since the pots were on a windowsill (although one pot under lights with a carefully adjusted photoperiod also flowered). This year, the U. longifolia is just now sending up a flower stalk and the adjacent U. praelonga also appears to be sending up 2 or 3. :banana2:

So.... what you're saying is.... I'm still a noob? Indeed, my one and only flowering experience with this species was at a window sill, which doesn't have wide swings of temperature differential, but it does get the change in photoperiod. Not sure how much it's losing through light that shines through glass, though.

Coincidentally, I have a pot of U. longifolia (different colony that flowered) that came from our topic's author, that is part utric and part D. paradoxa. That pot is in the terrarium setup. Both species are doing well. I think I need to separate them out and get the utric at the window sill... and it's going to be easier to remove (and disturb) the sundew.

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

From last year:

100_63001.jpg

From last month:

100_8801.jpg

Aloha Jim,
i tried that several times to eliminate the U. longifolia from those D. paradoxa. Might be easier to just clone the D. paradoxa.... :p

U. nelumbifolia
DSC_00280007_1.jpg

U. juncea. this one looks very similar to U. odorata just it is huge in terms of flower and flower stalk. Also it was stingy with flowers so i may not have the right conditions to get this one to bloom very well. Form is from Florida

DSC_00060001_12.jpg

DSC_00090002.jpg

Last edited:
Back