What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some Utricularia blooming for me now

Any tips on getting tricolor to bloom?
I agree w/ Kula - tough plant.

I never even saw a stalk in the terrarium so I moved some to my east-facing windowsill with my flowering U. longifolia & praelonga. The plant put up five stalks and each has aborted multiple times (creating several forks in each stalk). Technically, two of the stalks haven't given up yet but I'm very doubtful that they'll succeed. :censor:

I was late in moving the U. tricolor from the tank to the windowsill so I've got some hope next spring may be better ... ???

Apparently John Hummer has had it flower for him. He left it outside all year. It might need a cold dormancy to flower. I just heard this today, and it might be worth giving it a try.

i have had some outside all year long and nothing. However i might not get hot or cold enough to initiate flowering. i do know it doesn't seem to like cold conditions. So thinking need to keep it hotter.......

Taken today: U. pubescense
DSC_01780001.jpg

I kept my tricolor hot and got flower stalks, but no blooms.

That one's interesting.

Very nice! How big are the flowers?

very nice..photo and flower.
Great job!

Mach,
Great alpina! Thanks for sharing. Is it the same plant as the one on the 1st page? (left side)
DSC_02470002.jpg
DSC_00120003_3.jpg

The one on the left has no creases in her skirt.

yes same plant. Might be season related (had aphids a few months back on the bud) or might be because I am trying to make hybrid with U. nelumbifoia and have already pollinated the flower.

love the alpina.. it's quite regal.

... or might be because I am trying to make hybrid with U. nelumbifoia and have already pollinated the flower.
How long ago? I usually see the flower fall off fairly quickly after a successful pollination. When it doesn't take, the flower acts like nothing happened. I haven't been able to make any hybrids with my two asplundii from Chiwinda, Ecuador. Either it doesn't take or if it does, the seeds are sterile. I've also tried to pollinate a few w/ U. nephrophylla pollen - won't work on any of the larger flowers. I've been told the pollen tubes aren't large enough.

If you want a satellite location to grow some of those seeds, let me know ... :drool:
love the alpina.. it's quite regal.
Completely agree. I was floored when my 'P-Moon' flowered - the simple yellow patch surrounded by ivory everywhere really grabbed me - much more than I anticipated.

Have dabbed pollent on stigma flap two times now. Was guessing it might not ave taken. Have seen similar things with the nelumbifolia flowers fade quickly if pollination successful. Not seein it with the alpinia flowers. Otoh the alpinia has not dopped pollen either. So dunno. Guessing it is behaving like a heli in there's of non syncronized pollen and stigma receptivity. Stigma was sticky and glistening....

Are they large flowers? They look massive in the pics.

large flowers? there's a reason why they're called ORCHIDioides utricularia. ;)

Have dabbed pollent on stigma flap two times now. Was guessing it might not ave taken. Have seen similar things with the nelumbifolia flowers fade quickly if pollination successful.
Interesting. I'm really starting to wonder how compatible these species are ...

Not seein it with the alpinia flowers. Otoh the alpinia has not dopped pollen either.
The flowers have not produced any pollen?

So dunno. Guessing it is behaving like a heli in there's of non syncronized pollen and stigma receptivity. Stigma was sticky and glistening....
I thought a wet & sticky stigma was a good thing ....

I quit trying to pollinate with the flower there - getting in my way. Now I take pics then chop the flower off so I have unimpeded access to the interesting parts ... :-O

GORGEOUS!! I love alpina!

Back