What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some Utricularia blooming for me now

Sweetness!

balls-icon.png

Flowers have dropped from both the U. alpinia and U. nelumbifolia. Hope this means we got successful fertilization. Grow pollen tubes grow...

Just a comparison between indoor grown and outdoor grown U. livida. On the average the outdoor temps can be 10-20 degrees less than the indoor. Suspect that the anthocyanin pigments are responding to the cold like we see in grapes and many other plants.

Outdoor
DSC_00160006_1.jpg

Indoor
DSC_00070005_4.jpg

dang.. my livida never looked that good outdoors. VERY NICE! :clap:

U. longifolia Blooming Jan. 1, 2012
DSC_00090003_1_hf.jpg

Just a comparison between indoor grown and outdoor grown U. livida. On the average the outdoor temps can be 10-20 degrees less than the indoor. Suspect that the anthocyanin pigments are responding to the cold like we see in grapes and many other plants.

Outdoor
DSC_00160006_1.jpg

Indoor
DSC_00070005_4.jpg

fascinating!

What a contrast!

Suspect that the anthocyanin pigments are responding to the cold like we see in grapes and many other plants.
I see this every year with VFTs & Cephs as the cooler fall temps roll in. However, the difference in those livida flowers is pretty amazing - thanks for sharing! :hail:

Taken yesterday, pretty much white / pale pink:

006-2.jpg

doing some testing with the IPod Touch Camera. Things work ok for quick and dirty but for good shots Dunno

DSLR
DSC_00160005_2_hf.jpg

Ipod
c2efd74d.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

U. nelumbifolia 1/7/2012
DSC_00280009_hf.jpg

G. hispidula 1/7/2012
DSC_00180007_hf.jpg

DSC_00240008_1_hf.jpg

Jimscamera002.jpg

Due to the very low quality of the pics, I debated just keeping them quasi-hidden in my growlist (%#@*&%& point & shoot camera) but I've waited over 2 years to see flowers on this little guy - so here they are ... :-O U. warburgii (Zhejiang, SE China)
Uwarburgiiflowerfront010912RS.jpg
Uwarburgiiflowerside010912RS.jpg

Foliage...
Uwarburgiifoliage010912RS.jpg

& here's an interesting little habit this plant has that I don't recall seeing w/ other utrics (others will send out wandering stolons but this guy ...)
Uwarburgiifoiliagehanger010912RS.jpg

The various colors and patterns are so striking to me, that it was worth the wait - sure wish I could get some better pics. As you can see, another flower should open soon so maybe I'll try again ... ???

Due to the very low quality of the pics, I debated just keeping them quasi-hidden in my growlist (%#@*&%& point & shoot camera) but I've waited over 2 years to see flowers on this little guy - so here they are ... :-O U. warburgii (Zhejiang, SE China)

The various colors and patterns are so striking to me, that it was worth the wait - sure wish I could get some better pics. As you can see, another flower should open soon so maybe I'll try again ... ???

That one has never bloomed for me. But I do have it indoors and it needs to be moved outside to where it will be exposed to the cold and what ever seasonal change i have. So in theory this one is still a possible for me .

OTOH U. welwitschii is outside and has never bloomed for me at all. Guessing I might not have enough cold or something.....

kewl.... adorable lil thangs

Very nice Ron!

What are your conditions for the U. warburgii? Mines is growing like mad but no flowers yet.

OTOH U. welwitschii is outside and has never bloomed for me at all. Guessing I might not have enough cold or something.....
That's the one with the amazingly long flower stalks that go up, then fall over & up again. Of the ones I grew, that was one of the few that looked like it would self seed (ovaries swelled up so I cut the stalks after flowering - didn't wait for possible nightmare). They flowered almost constantly in my basement.

What are your conditions for the U. warburgii? Mines is growing like mad but no flowers yet.
Other than tricolor, this one has been my problem child. I think I just out-waited it. I grew it for over 1.5 years in my basement with my other utrics where it had a summer & winter photoperiod & it refused to flower. I moved it upstairs to my office where the lighting is constant (~13.5 hrs) & it flowered. I'd mostly given up for a while - semi-planned to try some periodic flooding to change things up (but never got around to it). The other day I was cutting all of the U. sandersonii "white" stalks that had flopped over several other plants (amazing - that one) when I just happened to notice the warburgii flower hidden in the white mass. Maybe that was it, it got upset when it got all crowded from the sandersonii --- ???

This are from a two or three years ago. I finally got around to having the film developed and scanned.

U. dichotoma
01230013copy.jpg

01230014copy.jpg

As you can see, another flower should open soon so maybe I'll try again ... ???
.... and here's the latest attempt. At least both horns are visible on the top flower (as he lets out massive DSLR-envy sigh):
Uwarburgii-2flowers011412RS.jpg

U. warburgii is too cool for words. How did you induce flowering?

Back