What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aldrovanda traps - fed with daphnia

Cindy

Staff member
I was trying out this for fun and found it very tiring (oh my eyes!). :crazy:

Freeze dried daphnia (~1-2mm each)and pointed tweezers.
freeze_dried_daphnia.jpg

For the effect, these pics were also made into a short video clip.
aldrovanda_traps.jpg

aldrovanda_traps1.jpg

aldrovanda_traps2.jpg

That is like way cool!

Very cool, indeed, Cindy! Great job!

so cool.. nice camera too!!

Awesome Cindy! It's been a couple days since your post, have the traps retained/consumed the prey?

I've always wanted to try growing Aldrovanda but for some reason it's rare in the US. I've never seen it for sale.

Thanks, everyone. Now I am inspired to try on the smaller plants i.e. the thinner Australian forms. The one in the photos is the Poland form.

I just checked...the traps are still closed but no longer pressed flat (I forgot to take photos of that stage...erm, is there such a stage?). The daphnia seems to be digested...I'll try and take a photo now. But it's not going to be easy. *cross-eyed*

Last edited:
The better of the shots. :blush:

Showing the "shape-less" debris as compared to the oval-shaped daphnia...

aldrovanda_traps3.jpg

aldrovanda_traps4.jpg

aldrovanda_traps5.jpg

aldrovanda_traps6.jpg

The time difference between the following shots was half an hour. No, I didn't sit and wait for it to happen. I was shuttling between the computer and the balcony to try and get sharper photos. :crazy:

aldrovanda_traps7.jpg

Interesting and awesome shots !

Amazing! I love Aldrovanda and this is probably the first time I've seen such a detailed set of pictures showing them in action. :bigthumpup:

Woah cool!
I want an Aldro!

Sorry cindy if this reply was too late but i am isaac and would like to know if there are any divisions of aldrovanda that you would want to sell.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Sorry cindy if this reply was too late but i am isaac and would like to know if there are any divisions of aldrovanda that you would want to sell.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

This is a nearly 9 year old thread, and the creator I haven't seen post on this forum in quite some time. Best not to resurrect really old threads asking for availability, and this is not the sales or trade section.

Back