Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Utricularia geminiloba Flower Stalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been growing it for a year now. I received a small plantlet with 2 leaves, about half an inch in size. They quickly died off, the plant started to grow 2 months after. Unfortunately they are much smaller now, and the plant seems to have another growth stop, also the leaves don't look well too. Maybe I'll try to add some more live sphag, I see the plants grow only in the living one, the stolons avoid the dead LFS:

Maybe I'll try to keep it more wet!

Peter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the best pic I could get, there was a very slight breeze or something making that tall skinny stalk move every 5s or so.

I'm growing this one and U. endressii in an open medium that is only watered once a week, no misting or anything. I can't say anything good or bad about U. geminiloba in this medium but U. endressii is doing great, I've sent off 3-4 plugs to TF people and have 3 more starter pots off the main pot. I could probably start another pot or 2 off the runners now. They get a dip, completely submerging the pots in water, once a week and thats it for watering.

I have yet to notice any leaf/bladder growth in the U. geminiloba's. For that matter anything besides the stalk.

Utricularia geminiloba flower

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's some current shots of my 2 divisions. The 1st is in a 100% LFS (originally live) media. It was slowly adding on new leaves when I started the AM watering but has added more recently (the tallest 2 are still unfolding / growing (the lengthening of the leaf into a triangle shape is the last thing to happen). The larger, heart-shaped leaf facing the camera is also on a fairly long petiole (like the other 2 new ones), but it is somewhat drooping... Most of the other leaves are similar to the 'tricolor-look' of my earlier (12.3.10) post.

This is the peat-based mix pot. It was doing very little adding of any leaves until recently. Both of the newer leaves w/ the long petioles are still forming. Although it is difficult to see in this pic, the largest original leaf came w/ a crease in it. Naturally one of these 2 new leaves had to come from below and push directly through the middle of that leaf (perforating a weakness in the crease).

-----------------------------------------
    Here's a clickable thumbnail of the leaf with the stem growing up through it:
    Last edited by RL7836; 12-26-2010 at 04:46 PM.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your plant looks good! Maybe I'll try to add some peat to my growing mix for it.

Peter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moof View Post
    Your plant looks good! Maybe I'll try to add some peat to my growing mix for it.
    I'm just happy that it is growing. I wouldn't add peat, based on my plants - the LFS-based pot is at least as robust as the peat-based pot, if not more.... If I was going to change something, it would be to adopt more frequent watering. While it is too new for this to be a definite positive, the plants natural environment & the success of the grower who sent me an email saying his plants were watered every day or two, all point to the likelihood...
    All the best,
    Ron

(with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    I wouldn't add peat, based on my plants - the LFS-based pot is at least as robust as the peat-based pot, if not more....
    Actually, virtually all growth in the peat-based pot stopped around the time of the last post. Meanwhile, the LFS-based plant has been adding leaves on a regular basis and has started 7-12 new leaf stalks in just the last week or so. Based on this, today I took the plant in the peat media and repotted into 100% live LFS. I kept the main root ball in one pot but took the side growth & started several others. While I was digging around, I noticed this tuber so I grabbed the camera for a pic (naturally, a few minutes later I uncovered at least 4 more - which would have been a better pic but my hands were completely disgusting - so I passed):

Hey RSS - where's more flower pics??
    All the best,
    Ron

(with Pics)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Actually, virtually all growth in the peat-based pot stopped around the time of the last post. Meanwhile, the LFS-based plant has been adding leaves on a regular basis and has started 7-12 new leaf stalks in just the last week or so. Based on this, today I took the plant in the peat media and repotted into 100% live LFS. I kept the main root ball in one pot but took the side growth & started several others. While I was digging around, I noticed this tuber so I grabbed the camera for a pic (naturally, a few minutes later I uncovered at least 4 more - which would have been a better pic but my hands were completely disgusting - so I passed):

Hey RSS - where's more flower pics??
    Seeing that tuber makes me want to uproot mine and check, I'll have to resist that urge.

We had a water pipe burst and ended up moving in the last week, we are just now getting settled back in, that flower is dieing now so no new photo's until the next one.

I have some different leaf growth with that plant and once its fully grown in I'll get a pic up. I think its just from higher light, but none the less interesting. Its rounded and green/red/purple.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123