What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U quelchii

With the seasonal reduction in photoperiod, watering and feeding my quelchii has slowed down considerably.

I'm hopeful the seasonal changes will induce a flowering :)
(Any guidance in this matter is greatly appreciated, not much first hand info to be found)

Photo taken a few mins ago
quelchii.jpg

Av

your quelchii is looking qutie well Butch. a very nice set of leaves---looks like one growing point, maybe coming out of the same tuber but yeah, well done. from the info i scoured around, i think having a cooler winter and reduction in water will trigger spikes (dont know if that's an appropriate term) when conditions return to normal.

Knowing how large that thing was when you received it, dispels any thoughts I have on how slow U. quelchii grows. Great job Butch!! :hail:

Now I just need to figure out why I cannot do the same .... :headwall:

You never got the Rhodesian black rhino dung i sent ya?
dang and i scrapped it off the trail while i was a coin op defending Salisbury....

:)

ummm me dunno Ron, ive kept nothing back

You never got the Rhodesian black rhino dung i sent ya?
I did get it! (many thanks - smelly stuff that).

I've got a few clues that are leading me to humidity - something that has not been a high priority for me (why can a thin-leafed plant like U. endresii be doing well and a thick leaf like U. quelchii be stunned?)

- recent H. 'Tequila' arrivals have struggled (unlike all other smaller Heli's)
- tiny sprig of U. quelchii spread through a small pot all summer but stopped growing & died back when I placed it in the 75 gal Orchidioides tank
- - - same sprig of U. quelchii started sprouting new growth when covered with humidity dome

I've been reluctant to add any fans & humidification but recent events have me pondering that decision .... :scratch:

Remind me again how far the media surface is (U. quelchii pot) from your lights?

i have a good layer of orchid bark lining the bottom of the quelchii container to let me know how high the water build up is. so far it's working well. i can also observe the plant making traps as well. interestingly enough all of my orchidioides at this time, except one, are going through multiple leaf production, with humboldtii taking up the lead.

I did get it! (many thanks - smelly stuff that).

I've got a few clues that are leading me to humidity - something that has not been a high priority for me (why can a thin-leafed plant like U. endresii be doing well and a thick leaf like U. quelchii be stunned?)

- recent H. 'Tequila' arrivals have struggled (unlike all other smaller Heli's)
- tiny sprig of U. quelchii spread through a small pot all summer but stopped growing & died back when I placed it in the 75 gal Orchidioides tank
- - - same sprig of U. quelchii started sprouting new growth when covered with humidity dome

I've been reluctant to add any fans & humidification but recent events have me pondering that decision .... :scratch:

Remind me again how far the media surface is (U. quelchii pot) from your lights?

Hmmmm that tequila clone is about bullet proof.... now that is unexpected
Quelchii is on the lower shelf of my plant rank, a good 18-24" from the lights

Av

Watch out -- quelchii can go to hell really fast. I had one for about 2 years (2008-early 2010) and then it went into dry dormancy. When I tried to coax it back, it rotted away. I think I gave it too much water, but in reality I really didn't water it that much.

Anyways it's easier to grow when it's in its non-dormant state lol. Mine grew like a weed using an adaptation of Travis's setup.

IMG_3075.jpg

Jeff,

if you had it to over.......?

Mine grew like a weed using an adaptation of Travis's setup.

A rendition of my setup help you grow? Really? Or were you referring to a different Travis?
If one of my ideas helped in any way, you just made my day. Hey.. that rhymed! I'm a poet and didn't know it. :-O

A rendition of my setup help you grow? Really? Or were you referring to a different Travis?
If one of my ideas helped in any way, you just made my day. Hey.. that rhymed! I'm a poet and didn't know it. :-O

Pyro = Travis

tali i water with weak fert mix monthly during the growing season (no drosera)

but for small plants plan on using a top layer of live spag or the carpet moss will dominate.

actually (massmorels) * (Pyro)= travis squared....adding just makes 2Travis.

actually (massmorels) * (Pyro)= travis squared....adding just makes 2Travis.

dang.. is there anything your not good at? Math, plants, live tanks, proving me wrong. lol
At least you knew what I meant. Okay, my long list of utrics is still lacking quelchii, so my input here is done. Carry on..

Someone asked me to post these here.

what are the growing conditions tali?

what are the growing conditions tali?
Ditto & how long have they been in there (undrained glass?) The elongated leaves are also U. quelchii or are there 2 different utrics?

@Ron: those elongated leaves are how IMMATURE quelchii leaves are to look like. not like the spade shaped tricolor leaves that we initially presumed. I saw them in my newer batch of quelchii as well---that's how we should be able to distinguish quelchii from tricolor without a doubt now.

and fwiw, Lois DOES have quelchii. I personally saw a few of those leaves in her glass bowl. but yeah, most of her quelchii pot is overrun with tricolor.

Back