Informational! Informational!:  6
Likes Likes:  30
Page 10 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Utricularia, section Orchidioides - info sharing & discussion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's beginning to sound like the Orchidioides complex might be para or polyphyletic....beautiful plants Ron!
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    it's beginning to sound like the Orchidioides complex might be para or polyphyletic....
    It's much easier to understand the 'original' Orchidioides species when Iperua are considered separately imho. The Iperua species are an eclectic group but the fact that most will produce fertile seed when crossed does suggest that they are closely related...

I'm curious about several things (off the top of my head):

- why was U. geminiloba included in Iperua instead of Orchidioides (I think it's the only one in Iperua w/ tubers)?
    - what kept U. tricolor & U. longifolia out of section Orchidioides (or at least out of Iperua)?
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looking at the 'original' Orchidioides species vs Iperua it seems that the majority of the Orchidoides seem to be closer to epiphytes or lithophytes vs Iperua terrestrial/semi aquatic..... I do not completely buy the fertile offspring concept. Look at orchids as a whole. Inter generic hybrids that are fertile. Maybe doesn't work so well for plants as it does for animals

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering if something similar was tried by fellow growers here with success:

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...howtopic=42500

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @gill: works for some, not for all. for those is the former Ipurea complex, im sure that will work fine...maybe even for a few of the true orchidioides complex, but there are those that look as if made to grow epiphytically such as jamesoniana and campbelliana which may not do as well.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~shudders~ My skin began to crawl at the sight of that snake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone else ever get mildew on their utrics? Alot of mine have it and I cant get rid of it, can anyone help me? Also on a side note I was reading that some were having troubles with U. praetermissa. I think people were keeping it to wet, from my experiances with it I've noticed it likes being on the dry side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    adam: i've been growing U. praetermissa mounted orchid bark with live sphag....this allows any excessive water to collect and drip off the mount.
    +growlist
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gill_za View Post
    I was wondering if something similar was tried by fellow growers here with success:

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...howtopic=42500
    Not sure exactly what you mean ... ? I know Pyro experiments with stuff all the time. He explains some of his playing over here.

I've done some experimenting (as it is in my nature). My experiences w/ U. reniformis media mirrors Sebulon's (& other's I've read). They prefer peat in the mix. Otoh, I've had better growth with pure live LFS in net pots than with any other media - for the larger non-Iperua Orchidioides. For the smaller ones, I'm playing with treefern plaques.

Overall, i'm very happy with the netpots & LFS for the big tuber-forming utrics. Dialing in conditions for U. nelumbifolia, U. humboldtii & U. reniformis continues to be a work-in-progress. While there is some success, I definitely believe I have a ways to go - moisture levels - in & out of dormancy will probably always challenge me ...
    Quote Originally Posted by aaddaam View Post
    Does anyone else ever get mildew on their utrics? Alot of mine have it and I cant get rid of it, can anyone help me?
    Sorry - but have not seen this at all (& hope I never do ((as he knocks on wood))). Maybe with more info on your setup, some of the experienced utric-keepers can offer some advice...

Quote Originally Posted by aaddaam View Post
    Also on a side note I was reading that some were having troubles with U. praetermissa. I think people were keeping it to wet, from my experiances with it I've noticed it likes being on the dry side.
    Good to know - thanks. I lost my 1st plant - I suspect that I was keeping it too wet after it arrived - even though I 'thought' I was keeping it quite dry. The replacement plant is holding it's own so far ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Not sure exactly what you mean ... ? I know Pyro experiments with stuff all the time. He explains some of his playing over here.

I've done some experimenting (as it is in my nature). My experiences w/ U. reniformis media mirrors Sebulon's (& other's I've read). They prefer peat in the mix. Otoh, I've had better growth with pure live LFS in net pots than with any other media - for the larger non-Iperua Orchidioides. For the smaller ones, I'm playing with treefern plaques.

Overall, i'm very happy with the netpots & LFS for the big tuber-forming utrics. Dialing in conditions for U. nelumbifolia, U. humboldtii & U. reniformis continues to be a work-in-progress. While there is some success, I definitely believe I have a ways to go - moisture levels - in & out of dormancy will probably always challenge me ...
    I meant this type of soil for nelumbifolia. I have planted the utric you have sent me in live sphagnum and trying to grow it like Pyro did (trailing some moss strands into water while the pot with the plant is suspended on top of it absorbing water through capillary action when not top watered). It is not doing to well. Reniformis and humboldtii are doing ok in it...

Page 10 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast