Likes Likes:  30
Page 11 of 59 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Utricularia, section Orchidioides - info sharing & discussion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    OK, the more I read about U. reniformis, the more confused I get. I'm going to receive some seeds of reniformis (large form) soon, so have been checking out cultivation requirements. Some sources say that it should be grown wet, whilst others have it growing in open orchid like composts - quite contradictory conditions
    that would be becayse there are a number of clones floating around....some prefer certain conditions than others and ive noticed my definition of wet feet differs from some....i grow most my utrics with wet feet.....with some this means a heavy soil in a tray of water, with some it means a really chunky mix in a tall pot in a tray of water....everything i grow is in a tray of water, i just vary the mix to suit the plant best as i can figure....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have lined a plastic net pot with dried NZ Sphagnum moss and used a mix of peat/cypress mulch/dried sphagnum/peat chunks inside that, so it's a free draining mix. I was going to water germinate the U. reniformis seeds and then transfer them to the aforementioned mix, but now I'm really not sure if it is correct or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    I have lined a plastic net pot with dried NZ Sphagnum moss and used a mix of peat/cypress mulch/dried sphagnum/peat chunks inside that, so it's a free draining mix. I was going to water germinate the U. reniformis seeds and then transfer them to the aforementioned mix, but now I'm really not sure if it is correct or not.
    mobile, what could help is if you knew the preferences of the plants the seed came from. at least you could have a baseline and start from there...
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ****** Update time ******

Last year I repotted many/most of my large utrics into netpots. As I suspected, I now have a love / hate relationship with them. Every plant that I stick in one (w/ live LFS) does better than previously and some are growing massively better.

Here's a plant that is enjoying the new neighborhood (suspected of being U. alpina x humboldtii):

.... but here's the rub - how the heck do you keep something like this away from the neighbors?

Here's a full pic:

In Jan, I mounted my U. jamesoniana on a treefern slab. It grew well for a while, then stopped and did noting for several months. When it looked like it was going to lose it's final remaining green leaf, it woke up and took off...

In May, I posted a quick preview pic of one of my U. asplundii flowers. They have been flowering non-stop since then and more open every day. I've done several pollination sessions and have offered seed over here. In that post, I also mentioned that the two plants I'm growing have shown consistently different flowers (with U. nelumbifolia for comparison):

Here is a pic of the more vigorous plant growing in pure live LFS (it has the shorter lobes and lighter center section):

Close-up of a shorter lobe flower:

.... and a longer lobe one (plant in a mixed media):

Virtually all of the flowers on the plant with the darker flowers had long lobes that didn't unfurl evenly.

.... another short lobe flower:

... and another long lobe one:

Side-views:

... and views of flowers on the stems:

As you can see from the multiple pics, there are additional differences between the flowers (beyond what I've mentioned).

Here are a few U. nelumbifolia flower pics - the 1st pic was already posted in the macro pic thread:

This one was taken at the same time but didn't make the original cut (not the same flower as previous pic):

.... and a friend that found a warm spot under my new bank of T-5 lights:
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Come To The Light. . . JB in Utah's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more I see them, the more I'm falling for the Orchidioides, what an impressive group of Utrics
    I should say something witty or remarkable but that would only prove my worth to society. To that I say meh!

The List That Grows. . . Utah Members Here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice ron. glad to see that jamesoniana take off for you!
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did some long overdue maintenance in the utric tanks this weekend and finally took the U. quelchii pot out for a haircut & pic.

Here's the plant back in January:

.... and this past weekend:

On an unrelated note, my U. alpina 'Pittier Moon' is sending up a stalk now - in the hottest part of the summer - I hope it makes it - and I hope the others take note & get jealous ...

A few more unrelated notes / observations:
    - harvested seed from crosses:
    ---U. nelumbifolia x U. asplundii (shipped spares out already)
    ---U. nephrophylla x U. nelumbifolia (only got a few - although more than last year)

---previously pollinated 2 U. nephrophylla flowers w/ U. asplundii pollen (u. nephrophylla x U. asplundii) -- neither pod had any seeds in it. What's up with that?

---previously pollinated a U. asplundii flower w/ U. longifolia pollen - I was quite shocked to see the pod has swollen as large as others. Will provide update if I get any seeds. (the 1st U. asplundii pollinations should be ready for harvest in the next week or so...)

---none of the U. praelonga x U. longifolia crosses (or reverse) produced seed (section foliosa)
    ---none of the selfed U. praelonga pollinations produced any seed either ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow!! Thats a happy Utric.

Guess the net pots are working well for you. Now I just need to get one of those roots to find its way into a pot with my name on it .

Page 11 of 59 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast