Page 12 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Utricularia, section Orchidioides - info sharing & discussion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    you had to get the squirt bottle didnt ya?
    LOL, totally mandatory for a plant that gorgeous.

That is a great picture of a beautiful plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh hehe
    It's in a section of the greenhouse that gets 'rained on' every day and it was mid morning so things were still wet. So I guess I will make this followup on how it's growing.
    In a pot of my Nepenthes mix which is coconut husk chunks, chunky perlite and LFS with a light watering daily. It stays pretty wet but the mix drains really well. My Orchidioides Utrics stay in this location all year. During the Winter I reduce the sprinkler on time and the number of days each week so they might get a little less water then but I think they still stay pretty moist and don't receive any type of noticeable dryer rest period.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

does this rag smell like chloroform to you? boxofrain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice Tony!
    thanks for the pic's
    "the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh so jealous ( in a good way).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi all. i would like to share with you the progress i've made with U. jamesoniana, apparently it's made perhaps a flower stalk or two.

for sure i know this one is:

a possible second flowerstalk:

perimeters for cultivation similar to U. campbelliana. receives direct ultrasonic misting for 15 minutes every two hours.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow!

Interesting shape to it.

Considering how big many of my macro utrics are, I'm doing something wrong. I've got to get the astro-timer hooked up - maybe that will make a difference - provide some real seasonality...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ron: you? do something wrong? never.

also in terms of seasonality, i dont know if im consciously or unconsciously trying to make any significant differences. i have a strong inclination to give the smaller leafed species stable perimeters as much as possible, as i believe this is what allows them to grow well, and they tend to regress significantly if exposed to abrupt changes.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's an example of some weirdness regarding flower production. I recently gave a friend one of my U. asplundii - one that was completely filling a 4x4x4 net pot and growing strongly out of all 4 sides & the bottom (leaves & roots). It had escaped into some adjacent live LFS and put up a leaf. I sent my buddy the large netpot plant and cut off the small piece that went feral. Within a month, the small piece had put up a flower stalk but the large, super-robust monster plant had never even tried to flower.... What's up with that?

The plants are definitely large enough to flower but they are choosing not to - at least many of them. So I need to make some changes ..... The astro timer will be first and then I might play with a seasonal dry period ...

Another asplundii that was somewhat smaller than the one above has been putting out stalks & flowering constantly for over 6 months (10 to 15 stalks?).
    All the best,
    Ron

(with Pics)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ohhhh wow, very cool amp....

we have got to know what the trigger is....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Below are some pics that everyone will look at & say - so what? But they represent a nice 'advancement' for me in my propagation efforts.....

For a while now, I've had a number of robustly-growing macro utrics with lots of roots (aka: rolons or non-photosynthetic stolons or whatever term you'd like to use). However, my attempts to utilize these roots to propagate the plants were either failures, almost-failures or a pain. I was reluctant to disturb the plants as I didn't want to set them back or retard possible flower production (another story --- aaargh). Every few weeks I need to give each pot a haircut to keep it out of it's neighbor's pot. Since my efforts with propagation were failures, I had no issue with allowing the root fragments to fall to the floor of the tank (where there is light-starved LFS, a thin film of water or one of many thriving D. prolifera). At some point I noticed small leaves coming from some of these castoffs. During the next trimming session, I gathered several of these roots & placed them in one location. Sure enough, after a few weeks, there were leaves popping off the roots. From what I could tell, the main differences from what I was trying and the conditions at the bottom of the tank were levels of light & moisture (I previously usually used wet but not sopping-wet live LFS).

I gathered up a bunch of U. quelchii roots & placed them in a small plastic tray with some live LFS & a small film of water & ....

..... & some U. 'Jitka' roots ...

When I have pots that look like this ...

.... or this ...

Now, I have a fairly easy method that actually works (btw - my 1st attempts with sticking roots in test tubes also seemed fairly productive).
    All the best,
    Ron

(with Pics)