User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  6
Likes Likes:  30
Page 13 of 59 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
Results 97 to 104 of 472

Thread: Utricularia, section Orchidioides - info sharing & discussion

  1. #97
    aaddaam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    299
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone else ever get mildew on their utrics? Alot of mine have it and I cant get rid of it, can anyone help me? Also on a side note I was reading that some were having troubles with U. praetermissa. I think people were keeping it to wet, from my experiances with it I've noticed it likes being on the dry side.

  2. #98
    i dont do pots. amphirion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, US
    Posts
    3,496
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    adam: i've been growing U. praetermissa mounted orchid bark with live sphag....this allows any excessive water to collect and drip off the mount.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

  3. #99
    RL7836's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    3,252
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gill_za View Post
    I was wondering if something similar was tried by fellow growers here with success:

    http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...howtopic=42500
    Not sure exactly what you mean ... ? I know Pyro experiments with stuff all the time. He explains some of his playing over here.

    I've done some experimenting (as it is in my nature). My experiences w/ U. reniformis media mirrors Sebulon's (& other's I've read). They prefer peat in the mix. Otoh, I've had better growth with pure live LFS in net pots than with any other media - for the larger non-Iperua Orchidioides. For the smaller ones, I'm playing with treefern plaques.

    Overall, i'm very happy with the netpots & LFS for the big tuber-forming utrics. Dialing in conditions for U. nelumbifolia, U. humboldtii & U. reniformis continues to be a work-in-progress. While there is some success, I definitely believe I have a ways to go - moisture levels - in & out of dormancy will probably always challenge me ...
    Quote Originally Posted by aaddaam View Post
    Does anyone else ever get mildew on their utrics? Alot of mine have it and I cant get rid of it, can anyone help me?
    Sorry - but have not seen this at all (& hope I never do ((as he knocks on wood))). Maybe with more info on your setup, some of the experienced utric-keepers can offer some advice...

    Quote Originally Posted by aaddaam View Post
    Also on a side note I was reading that some were having troubles with U. praetermissa. I think people were keeping it to wet, from my experiances with it I've noticed it likes being on the dry side.
    Good to know - thanks. I lost my 1st plant - I suspect that I was keeping it too wet after it arrived - even though I 'thought' I was keeping it quite dry. The replacement plant is holding it's own so far ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

    *** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

  4. #100
    Never Knows Best gill_za's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Philadephia, PA
    Posts
    996
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Not sure exactly what you mean ... ? I know Pyro experiments with stuff all the time. He explains some of his playing over here.

    I've done some experimenting (as it is in my nature). My experiences w/ U. reniformis media mirrors Sebulon's (& other's I've read). They prefer peat in the mix. Otoh, I've had better growth with pure live LFS in net pots than with any other media - for the larger non-Iperua Orchidioides. For the smaller ones, I'm playing with treefern plaques.

    Overall, i'm very happy with the netpots & LFS for the big tuber-forming utrics. Dialing in conditions for U. nelumbifolia, U. humboldtii & U. reniformis continues to be a work-in-progress. While there is some success, I definitely believe I have a ways to go - moisture levels - in & out of dormancy will probably always challenge me ...
    I meant this type of soil for nelumbifolia. I have planted the utric you have sent me in live sphagnum and trying to grow it like Pyro did (trailing some moss strands into water while the pot with the plant is suspended on top of it absorbing water through capillary action when not top watered). It is not doing to well. Reniformis and humboldtii are doing ok in it...

  5. #101
    RL7836's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    3,252
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gill_za View Post
    I meant this type of soil for nelumbifolia. I have planted the utric you have sent me in live sphagnum and trying to grow it like Pyro did (trailing some moss strands into water while the pot with the plant is suspended on top of it absorbing water through capillary action when not top watered). It is not doing to well. Reniformis and humboldtii are doing ok in it...
    I've been unable to make U. nelumbifolia happy in a peat-based mix. Others have had different results. I believe that both Pyro & Jeremiah have had success w/ peat mixes on the somewhat dry side. The best results I've had came when I set one loose as I mentioned above:
    - a month or 2 ago, I allowed aerial stolons from both a U. nelumbifolia & a U. humboldtii clone to reach the lower reaches of my 75 gal tank where there is a layer of live LFS (I felt reasonably safe since all of the other utric pots are sitting on pots to raise them closer to the lights). Within a few weeks, both had launched the largest leaves that I've seen from any of my plants to date. Then a week or two later, the U. nelumbifolia sent up three simultaneous flower stalks. The largest was over 1/8" diameter near the base. I've had to train it multiple times to keep from frying in the lights - it is probably close to 3' long. I'm not sure what the two plants find down there that is so much better than in any pot - but I'd love to find out ... I'm also thinking that I'm going to need to stop this experiment soon before those two completely own the tank
    One of the current U. nelumbifolia leaves has ~4" diameter.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

    *** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

  6. #102
    i dont do pots. amphirion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, US
    Posts
    3,496
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here's an update on my loofah experiment...seems that all the utrics didnt mind being hung...
    campbelliana:


    geminiloba:


    praetermissa:


    quelchii:
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

  7. #103
    swords's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Cernunnos Woods
    Posts
    8,091
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow cool! I like that Loofa idea, firm but stretchy, will be awesome when the moss overgrows it!

  8. #104

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saginaw, TX USA
    Posts
    1,567
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never thought to use that stuff before, wonder if there is a clear version? I've always used fishing line to attach things to other things.

    Defiently have to add mounting Utric's to my todo list.

Similar Threads

  1. Orchidioides Flowers
    By kulamauiman in forum Utricularia, Aldrovanda, Genlisea
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 04-13-2015, 06:59 AM
  2. If I can't have an Orchidioides Utric...
    By swords in forum Orchids
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-31-2010, 08:23 PM
  3. How to grow Orchidioides
    By Pyro in forum Utricularia, Aldrovanda, Genlisea
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 09-23-2006, 06:15 PM
  4. Year of the Orchidioides
    By Pyro in forum Utricularia, Aldrovanda, Genlisea
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-30-2006, 04:17 AM
  5. P. orchidioides ?
    By Joseph Clemens in forum Butterwort (Pinguicula)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-03-2005, 04:14 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •