Likes Likes:  30
Page 14 of 48 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Utricularia, section Orchidioides - info sharing & discussion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ron,
    How long should the bits be left in wet LFS like that - until a few full adult sized leaves develop? Not that long? What if there are just a couple young leaves per strand - should they be left in the wet conditions longer? Will they tend to put on size faster in these conditions than being in a net pot of just moist live moss?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Ron,
    How long should the bits be left in wet LFS like that - until a few full adult sized leaves develop? Not that long? What if there are just a couple young leaves per strand - should they be left in the wet conditions longer? Will they tend to put on size faster in these conditions than being in a net pot of just moist live moss?
    LOL! When I disturbed the little tray recently to send some pieces out, I was wondering the same thing. (I sure wish we could get Pyro back into these discussions!!) If I get some time this w/e, I'll transfer some over into pots and try to find out. However, based on what I found when I was digging in that little tray, I might be inclined to go against my instincts (& prior experience) & keep them in very wet live LFS for a while longer. There was a lot of growth in that little tray that was invisible from the top. I found that quite soon, there would be one solid mat of mixed rolons & traps all tangled together.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    gill_za: very cool pics - thanks for sharing.

I'm very curious about people's success with this species. I've read numerous accounts of folk's having problems growing it. So far, mine has been a super-robust grower without odd idiosyncrasies. I believe RSS has had similar experience.
    Ron,

Out of the three Utrics you sent me last time, this one established itself the fastest. I originally set it up in two colonies (1: pure live Sphagnum, 2: milled lfs/sand/aps). Both seemed to grow at the same rate. Yesterday I transferred the above leaf and few stolons in Aps/Live_sphag/cypress_mulch/peat (3/2/1/1) mix just as an experiment. So I have 3 colonies of the plant at the moment. I'll update later on how the latest colony is doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gill_za View Post
    Yesterday I transferred the above leaf and few stolons in Aps/Live_sphag/cypress_mulch/peat (3/2/1/1) mix just as an experiment. So I have 3 colonies of the plant at the moment.
    It will be interesting to see your results. When I did a similar test, plants grew the same in both media for a while. After the initial period, the pure LFS pot just took off & it was no longer close. I found something similar with all of the original Orchidioides as well as U. nelumbifolia & humboldtii. U. reniformis & nephrophylla both did better in peat mixes for me.

Imo, more people should do testing to see if they get similar results. My tests show very different results from Pyro so I'm wondering if my peat may have been an issue and also whether I'd get different results w/ U. nelumbifolia & humboldtii if I'd kept them on the drier side.
    All the best,
    Ron

(with Pics)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found something similar with all of the original Orchidioides as well as U. nelumbifolia & humboldtii. U. reniformis & nephrophylla both did better in peat mixes for me.
    I can confirm this for nephrophylla. It doesn't grow as much in pure sphag as it does in peat based media in my conditions. I have also a similar experiment going for U. reniformis, but it is too early to tell anything definitive yet. I plan on trying it for every Epiphytic utric I have at some point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you thinking this is unusual?
    technically, it shouldnt, since i believe many utricularia have adapted to this kind of life strategy. for myself, cuttings of U. graminifolia floating in water when i trim my tank turn into plants, and settle in unwanted areas of the tank, ie: in my mini pellia, fissidens, etc.

for orchidoides, it should be no different, but i think there are specific conditions that need to be met in order to successfully take.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    for orchidoides, it should be no different, but i think there are specific conditions that need to be met in order to successfully take.
    I have seen this happen to U. tricolor (not epiphytic) and to U. nephrophylla as well Just kept the soil moist and plantlets started sprouting on the leafs in few cases.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some news to share with you guys concerning a couple orchidioides and pollination:

campbelliana DOES self pollinate!

that being said...it seems that cross pollination between two flowers seems to set more seed than pollinating a flower by itself. this could possibly be because the sex organs mature at different times?

but, on a sad note, quelchii does not self.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U. alpinia x U. nelumbifolia

looks like ovary swelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow - hadn't noticed activity in this thread and hadn't checked - doh!

Agree. Sometimes Orchidioides leaves sprout easily and sometimes not at all. I'm not completely clear on what differentiates the two ...

Some news to share with you guys concerning a couple orchidioides and pollination:

campbelliana DOES self pollinate!
    Excellent news! Do you actually have seed & has it sprouted? I've had some asplundii x asplundii pollinations produce tons of seed - and yet none sprouted!

but, on a sad note, quelchii does not self.
    I wouldn't draw an overall conclusion yet. I'm seeing odd stuff happen with these plants (like the asplundii pollination mentioned above). Also, in Bob's photofinder, there are pics of a U. nelumbifolia x U. nephrophylla cross. I've tried this cross several times & never got anything. Herr Fleischmann has suggested that the smaller pollen tubes in U. nephrophylla may simply be unable to do the job --- but then I see these pics! (The reverse cross has worked twice for me - but with minimal seed set both times -- minimal but viable). I've also had a few other crosses that didn't work that made me wonder what's going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    looks like ovary swelling
    Sure does - I hope it's real (Pyro has had ovary swelling with zero seeds inside).

Definitely some interesting stuff going on within this family of plants!
    All the best,
    Ron

(with Pics)