Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My latest acquisition into the Orchidioides section - U. campbelliana

just your friendly neighborhood INTJ... amphirion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice acquisition mobile! im sure there's more than meets the eye concerning undergrowth. happy growing!
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to be receiving some U. humboltdii soon, and was wondering if it does well in the same conditions as U. reniformis. I grow my reniformis in a sphagnum slurry and it does well, would the same thing work for humboltdii?
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes it should. the two of those used to be in their own section, Iperua before merged in with Orchidioides. there's a spectacular humboldtii clone that requires a peat based mix, but seeing that you're in canada, the chances of you obtaining it are pretty much, zip.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will do good sir! And yes, zilch, I am just happy I don't have to buy it from BCP for $25...
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peatmoss View Post
    I am going to be receiving some U. humboltdii soon, and was wondering if it does well in the same conditions as U. reniformis. I grow my reniformis in a sphagnum slurry and it does well, would the same thing work for humboltdii?
    What is a 'sphagnum slurry'?

Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    yes it should. the two of those used to be in their own section, Iperua before merged in with Orchidioides. there's a spectacular humboldtii clone that requires a peat based mix, but seeing that you're in canada, the chances of you obtaining it are pretty much, zip.
    What would your standard mix for U. humboldtii be? I have mine in dried:fresh Sphagnum moss and it just sits doing nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @mobile: sphagnum slurry is made up of loose strands of LFS and lots of water. you dont want the sphagnum to be too dense.

as for your mix, it sounds like a pretty decent one, except that it could lead to compaction, i would personally add perlite, styrofoam chunks, or coarse, large celled sponge chunks into your media. that or use a netted pot instead---many of these plants benefit form some sort of aeration.
    +growlist
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    large chunk perlite fTW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow - it's great to see some new folks posting with their Orchidioides 'babies'.
    @mobile: what is your campby mounted on? Roughly how thick is the moss layer? That's a different species of moss from what's on mine.
    @Cthulhu138: I had a tiny piece of 'Enfant terrible' but it grew very poorly & then died. I'll be curious to watch how yours grows. It's already much more prolific than mine ever was.
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    very nice ron...i need to up my game....my small sized slabs dont look like they're gonna cut it....that and getting a bigger tank too. T.T
    I really like the slabs since they can hang on the side & use previously wasted space. Before this recent rush of new growth (mostly on bottom left), I had no idea that the plant was even happy - much less that it was going to send out 3 flowers. I've got another small piece with one leaf coming along on a treefern slab that is ~50% of the size of this slab and I also just started a new piece on a hanging basket-type thing that I recently made to mimic Barry's hanging basket but also hang on the side of a tank.

The U. jamesoniana opened it's 1st flower a few days ago, so this weekend I took it out for pics & pollination.

and the treefern plaque (one flower & at least 2 more buds)

On a completely different topic - a cross I made last year (but just now getting some size)

I know some others have posted pics with this cross but I was still quite shocked by how much the leaves have morphed into a reniformis shape. For me, this wasn't at all obvious given the leaf shapes of the two parents.

.... and last a quick pic of one of the two alpina's currently flowering

..... and really last - a link to some U. asplundii flower pics that I posted in other threads but not in this one.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

does this rag smell like chloroform to you? boxofrain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey Ron, do you use a drip system on the vertical slabs or just hand water and allow them to sit in a shallow tray of water?
    I have all the makin's for this set-up here, but have not gotten to doing it yet.
    Thanks for the wonderful eye candy today!
    "the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime"