Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Utricularia, section Orchidioides - info sharing & discussion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Dexenthes: www.sarracenia.com is your best friend. it's section Pleiochasia.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.utricularien.de/karnivore...tricularia.htm

wonder if Nicole ever treads this way?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @av8tor: nope, i'd think we'd have to drag her over here. i could see her being more involved with the CP forum on the other side of the pond. she'd be an amazing help though--she was the one partially responsible for helping me sort out through my U. tricolor drama.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-18-2010 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ummmm amp, maybe she just needs an invitation

I know she is a moderator of at least one German based forum

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread needs more pics, so I'll help out. I've been growing Utric's for 4-5 years, I started out with Utric. graminifolia and then expanded to the terrestrials. Once I found the Orchidioides I quickly had a favorite and started to reduce the terrestrials in favor of the Orchidioides.

Here is the first Orchidioides I received, it was a single leaf about 1/2" tall. So I planted it like my limited experience told me to, in a peat/sand mix with just about 1" of medium. I've been adding various other mixes over the last year to get the medium to the top of the pot. The last 3/4" is ADA aquasoil. The others of this species I have are being grown in more traditional methods. So I thought I'd share the results of this. It is growing but not as well as the others in more open mediums.

Utricularia humboldtii

Over the past year or so I've started to grow alot of Utric's in a Nep type mix, large peat chunks/lava rock/hydroton/perlite/tree fern/orchid bark/charcoal/sphagnum, I've had better results than anything else I've tried. My conditions are all indoors in vivariums and I have high humidity, the low end is 65% up to 99%. So the more open mediums seem to work great. I'm also using Aircone pots.

Here is a U. reniformis "f. courte" growing WAY too fast in the medium listed above.

Next is a U. endresii in the mix above, I have started 2 other pots of this stuff with just a leaf cutting, like you can do with U. longifolia. A few of the leaves (due to my carelessness) have fallen off and they started rooting in the bottom of the vivarium on the hydroton.

And last we have a U. geminiloba flower just starting to open up. This thing is taking forever! Its been 3 days and it haven't opened any more. The last 2 days the color has went from white over to purple. The photo does not do the color justice. I can't provide any insight into getting it to flower, I received the plant and the next week it spiked.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-18-2010 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @RSS: i'll be taking pics of mine when i get home....are you sure that U. endresii aint plagued by U. longifolia? I KID I KID!!!
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-18-2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment
    +growlist
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some various progress shots...

U. quelchii

(you can see the sudden growth burst resulting from fertilizing in the shape of the one leaf, very obvious)I never have had the elongated immature leaves so many others have seen , but Nicole speaks of at least 3 variants.... so who knows)

Now:

U. nelumbifolia

Now:

(poor pic, disregard the U. reniformis leaves from the adjacent pot..)

U. humboldtii - clone 1

Now:

U. endresii x U. alpina

Now:

This plant has not reacted well to the same feeding schedule. But to be honest it is also getting the least amount of light compared to the others (significant difference) So its ability to utilize the extra nutrients cannot be the same. Mea Culpa
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-18-2010 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent Utricularia guys! I'm starting to realize what the Orchidioides fever is all about!
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here's mine, with an emphasis on U. quelchii, since it's all the rage these days.

U. nephrophylla:

U. endresii:

U. humboldtii:

U. nelumbifolia:

and U. quelchii:

and proof that im not killing it
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-18-2010 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment
    +growlist
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @amphirion - No, no, no...your giving your U. nephrophylla too much light . Reduce the light and you can get nice tall plants like these. My average stem is 1-1 1/2".

They still flower just fine and are much Taller!!!
    Utricularia nephrophylla

Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast