Likes Likes:  30
Page 20 of 59 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: Utricularia, section Orchidioides - info sharing & discussion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    Looks like the large form U. reniformis to me. Can you get a shot of the leaf from the top?
    Interesting - I was thinking the same thing - both from the pic of the leaf to the thick root segments. Checking my records, supposedly I only sent Dex U. nelumbifolia - no rennies.... (hmmmm - although I did send a rennie segment to someone else that same day - hmmmm)
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    Looks like the large form U. reniformis to me. Can you get a shot of the leaf from the top?
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Interesting - I was thinking the same thing - both from the pic of the leaf to the thick root segments. Checking my records, supposedly I only sent Dex U. nelumbifolia - no rennies.... (hmmmm - although I did send a rennie segment to someone else that same day - hmmmm)
    Here's the best pic I could dig up:

LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks like reniformis to me. Although I have seen nelumbifolia make reniform leaves when immature or not happy...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh my gosh, just browsed photofinder and you guys are indeed correct, it must be U. reniformis.

That changes everything!
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    Oh my gosh, just browsed photofinder and you guys are indeed correct, it must be U. reniformis.
    Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    looks like reniformis to me. Although I have seen nelumbifolia make reniform leaves when immature or not happy...
    Dex,
    Have all the leaves been this shape? I'll often have a few younger leaves not fully form...
    All the best,
    Ron

(with Pics)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah all of its leaves have produced this shape, although it has only made a couple mature ones...

I haven't seen anything that was characteristically U. nelumbifoliaish though.

I will continue growing it with love and see if that changes though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Things have been quiet in these parts so ..... time for a post ...
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    - a month or 2 ago, I allowed aerial stolons from both a U. nelumbifolia & a U. humboldtii clone to reach the lower reaches of my 75 gal tank where there is a layer of live LFS (I felt reasonably safe since all of the other utric pots are sitting on pots to raise them closer to the lights). Within a few weeks, both had launched the largest leaves that I've seen from any of my plants to date. ..((snip)).. I'm not sure what the two plants find down there that is so much better than in any pot - but I'd love to find out ...
    Last May, I posted the clip above. I'm still really curious what makes plants that are freed - go crazy growing?? Here are two pics showing the size difference between what is growing 'free' (left) vs what is in a 4" netpot (right). The leaves on the left average 14-16" high & the ones on the right 6-8". (My apologies - I couldn't size-match the pics to accurately reflect the size difference - just compare each to the size of my fingers/hand).

I had to clip the nelumbifolia way back because it's 4" peltate umbrellas shaded everything around. So far, I've let the humbo keep growing. I've also allowed another clone to 'escape' in a different tank. It's just now starting to discover it's freedom - I'm curious to see how it does....
    All the best,
    Ron

(with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe where it is going free wheeling it can seek the ideal environment for it self and put down stolons and traps in the right place. vs the net pot it is sort of constrained and forced to be a certain level of the pot in and such?.

Can you get some TDS readings of the liquid/water in the bottom of the tank. Maybe build up of nutrients there that is not available to the ones in the net pot? I am seeing something similar with one of the reniformis it has put out stolons in the bottom of the tray and is looking nice and robust. Same thing the humbo did earlier (I snipped it to get a redundant back up).

None of my my hombos have leaves like that in terms of size.