Informational! Informational!:  6
Likes Likes:  30
Page 20 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: Utricularia, section Orchidioides - info sharing & discussion

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let us know when the seeds germinate. That should be a really cool plant.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post

Not so much w/ james since they aren't really invasive. I do dislike how many the otherOrchidioides put out since they invade the other pots pretty quickly. I try to keep similar plants away from each other but it's tough. Overall, it's just part of growing utrics. Otoh, when I want more of the aerial roots for propagation (like with campby), there are none around.

Here's a pic of my 1st harvest of U. jamesoniana seed (u. james x U. asplundii) that I collected on the 4th. The seeds are sitting on a 1mm grid (actually a bit less than 1 mm) - very much like dust. Here's some infertile U. asplundii seed for comparison and some very different U. nephrophylla seed.

Potential good news on the U. james by alpina pollination attempt as both flowers quickly aborted their flowers after the cross. Now we get to wait & see what happens... Unlike with Sarrs or Neps, my attempts at crossing has shown these plants to be very idiosyncratic - many of the crosses fail & frequently at different points. Some ignore the pollen & pretend like it's not even there (ie: asplundii x alpina), some will produce seed that won't germinate (ie: asplundii (long lobe flower) x asplundii (short lobe flower)), some will self readily (ie: alpina (per buddy)), some will not self (ie: james (per buddy)), some will act like pollen was accepted & seeds are forming but have empty capsules (ie: alpina 'Pittier Moon' x asplundii iirc) and some will set seeds but much fewer than a normal pollination would produce (ie: nephro x nelumbifolia) & probably more permutations that my brain is not recalling - like the cross that produced U. 'Jitka' (quelchii x praetermissa) - produced viable seed & a healthy plant - but the plant is sterile (so far anyway).
    asplundii x quelchii does not work either. for future reference.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm. maybe need to go look at chromosome counts? Wondering if some are naturally occurring tetraploids. So incompatible chromosome counts...

I might need to do the ship in the bottles for many of them because I see the are spreading rhizomes and invading neighbors......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi to all!
    I have some question - is it the leaf of humboldtii starts to develop?

Thanks for all answers.
    Sincerely,
    Oleksii

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certainly looks like it could be... the 'hook' at the top is characteristic... time will tell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A quick follow-up post on the U. nephrophylla x U. nelumbifolia hybrid. I kept three sg plants (& shared the few others with fellow Utric growers). One is in the basement doing very little while the other two are in my small office tank, both showing incredible hybrid vigor. One is sending up many new leaves while the other, next to it, has 1/3 fewer leaves but has recently decided to send up a flower stalk - something I hadn't even hoped for - for a another year or two...

While the leaves are still like a U. reniformis, the flower stalk is a miniature U. nelumbifolia (& nothing at all like it's seed parent - U. nephrophylla). From all appearances, this cross should be a good robust plant that isn't very picky about conditions.

For comparison, here's a pic of the very leaf-iforous sister plant a month ago:
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh wow Ron, your Utricularia just never cease to amaze me. U. nephrophylla x nelumbifolia looks so great, I can't wait to see that flower open. I love the more diminutive size of it (at least at the moment?). I imagine that's because of the nephrophylla parent?

Someday I could see myself parting with all Drosera and Nepenthes and just growing N. argentii and a bunch of Utricularia.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    most of my orchidoides are straggling along. praetermissa seems to be doing well for me though---working on a flowerstalk. and being the trollolololol that i am, i decided to photograph the plant at an angle where the flower stalk is not visible really proud of this one. this was grown from just one tuber and a few leaves. my efforts with working with single tuber portions have been less than ideal.

no fear though...it's not really anything to look at just yet.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing much to see here, just some bladders. Pretty sure its from U. reniformis.

LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first flower from U. nephrophylla x U. nelumbifolia popped a few days ago but didn't open fully. Thankfully, the 2nd flower was not far behind & opened last night so this morning I snapped a few shots.

Quasi 3/4 view

Front

Side (closeup of the side-view - showing remnants of the colorful stripes on the spur from nelumbifolia dad)

As I posted before, the 2 plants are both in small 2.5" pots. The flower stalk on this 1st plant is ~25" (63cm) long - really amazing! The 2nd plant is also now sending up a stalk. The vigor of these two are shocking.

On the 'more good news front' - based on my prior years success of having U. longifolia & U. praelonga flower on my east-facing windowsill, last fall, I took pieces of both medium forms of U. reniformis ("f. courte" & "small form") & planted them in 4.5" (11cm) pots and stuck them on the windowsill. Spring came & went & nothing resembling a stalk appeared. I figured I'd wait until next spring before considering the experiment a failure. In roughly mid-August (~2 weeks ago), I noticed a stalk coming up in the "f. courte" pot. On 082912, I noticed another tiny one just coming out of the media. So, soon, I'll hopefully have some more pics to share ...
    Last edited by RL7836; 09-05-2012 at 01:42 PM.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)