Page 23 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Utricularia, section Orchidioides - info sharing & discussion

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I make a suggestion? Maybe one or a couple of you guys could do a moss give-away. I remember it was hard finding a stumpy/short sheet-y kind of moss to grow small leaves in on a cork slab back in the day, so maybe there's some other people out there who are looking for mosses too

Meanwhile my U.nelumbi flowered for a good 4 months straight this year. I guess it wanted a little less sunlight so maybe indirect light (the shade of a Sarra pot) + potted in wet/sludgey/sphag-y mess is the way to go for blooms. The portion I 'potted' = tossed into the terra at work is taking off making taaalllll small-leafed leaf stalks. We'll see if it flowers this year..

does this rag smell like chloroform to you? boxofrain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not yet seen a flower on my Reniformis either.
    But I am at the point I can divide and isolate a few divisions in several locations and see what may come of it all.
    "the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime"

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just popping in so sorry if this has already been said.... some 'Big Sister' flowering info can be found in this thread: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-yep-in-flower! Sorry, but I can't give any more information than what is in that thread on the subject. :-\

Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that actually helps out quite a bit Andrew. Got my original division from Bob, so wondered a little more how he cared for it. He says,"plants flower every summer with the flowers lasting about 3 months."
    Think my cold period is a little too long and cold for outdoor winters though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember them blooming at peter's place and BobZ's place one April.
    Don't think they can deal will full on freeze. Maybe garage or unheated area inside that doesn't freeze

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so im about to relocate my campbelliana to a larger slab--a driftwood piece even. might put a few miniature orchids on the mount as well but there's a problem--how to water?

we've got quite a few people growing it here, so i'd like to hear how you guys are currently keeping your campbelliana from desiccation. mine is currently exposed to direct mist from a ultrasonic fogger every other hour.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is in relatively high humidity, so that helps keep it moist. Also, the moss is on top of coarse peat, which helps retain water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    we've got quite a few people growing it here, so i'd like to hear how you guys are currently keeping your campbelliana from desiccation. mine is currently exposed to direct mist from a ultrasonic fogger every other hour.
    Following the recommendations of the original owner**, the campby slab (sheet moss over cork bark) sits in water (allowed to periodically dry out) and sprayed by hand when I'm in the neighborhood (usually daily but can stretch to 2-3 days). I try to spray the jamesoniana on treefern once daily (but it can also get stretched).

I am dreaming about getting everything into a greenhouse where auto-foggers/misters/sprinklers can eliminate the current labor and closely mimic nature.

** I originally thought the lower areas were far too wet and any stolons that wandered down there would rot. My theories appear to be wrong as the lower sections have a strong colony where it is constantly wet. However, attempts to grow rolons on constantly wet dead LFS have typically failed.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ummmm mine dries out around the edges pretty regularily.....
    It is in an area of realitively high airflow, so I try to water it at least every couple days....

I was keeping it much moister and it was forever in a slow decline. The drier conditions (at least for me) have made a dramatic improvement. The recovery began almost overnight..... (its in the exact same moss as well, I just moved the whole clump from point A to point B)

I think now it has a "gradiant" of moisture levels it can choose from.... maybe this gradient is the key, I dunno

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks guys
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread