Page 25 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Utricularia, section Orchidioides - info sharing & discussion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was here already, so I figured I'd add some more of my low quality horticulture...

These are some small divisions of U. reniformis and U. humboldtii that I'm keeping in a pool of fetid pond scum. They are growing quite well at household temps and humidity, with only additional lighting. The humidity is very low because of the heater at this time of year, so I'm impressed with how well they are doing (only teh easy specs, but still..) I need to get nelumbifolia next!

<Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've posted some pictures of U. campbelliana over here: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...ncluding-traps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well my U.nelumbifolia bloom died today. It was in bloom for five weeks for anyone who is interested in that kind of information. Jack
    'Celebrate the birth of our nation by blowing a little piece of it up'.The Simpsons.
    My grow list ~http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=107403

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U. nephrophylla x U. nelumbifolia seedling making buds:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exciting!
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally ---

Backstory: I received a U. endresii (small piece) from BCP back on Oct 29, 2009. It grew ok but never took off like my other Orchidioides. Finally on Sept 29, 2011, I divided & repotted. Being paranoid, I took the largest group of tubers & roots & put it back into a large 4x4x4" netpot and also started several other smaller pots with tubers/roots (as well as sharing pieces w/ others). Naturally, the largest piece in the primary pot has only recently put up a single leaf. However, one of the pieces in a 3" pot has been putting up leaves for a while and also started two flower stalks. I've waited for almost three weeks for the 1st flower to finally open - today was the day - my 1st official look at a U. endresii flower (that wasn't in a pic).

Here's what I've been seeing for over a week (nasty thru-glass pic):

Today - the rest ... front

Side/back:

The plant:

One of the things that I really wasn't expecting was the size - it was much larger than I anticipated. Here's a pic with a spare U. asplundii flower (this is the clone I call "long lobe" -- there's almost always some U. asplundii flowers open somewhere):
    Last edited by RL7836; 02-06-2013 at 05:16 PM.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

just your friendly neighborhood INTJ... amphirion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    woah. woah. woah. WOAH.
    that flower is a stunner. very close in terms of morphology of both leaves and flowers to praetermissa. very cool!
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice. My U. endersii is slowly getting smaller all the time.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice flower and pictures, Ron. Did you report the divisions into a different soil mix and were they also in a net pot? I've noticed when repotting Utricularia alpina that the largest leaves and tubers are the ones at the edge of the pot (normal pot, not net), basically the tubers seem to like touch the inside of the pot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    Did you report the divisions into a different soil mix and were they also in a net pot?
    I've been very happy with the growth I've seen using live LFS in a netpot - so that's my primary approach. However, when repotting the original Orchidioides (not Iperua), sometimes they can get cranky, initiate a dormancy & perhaps decide to die. One of my backup pots is the one with two flower stalks & the 1st bloom (above) - this plant is in a 3" regular pot (w/ 100% live LFS). From what I've noticed, Orchidioides abhor anaerobic conditions. The netpots help keep those conditions away somewhat longer than regular pots - especially as the pots get larger.

I plan to experiment with an airy Nep mix at some point in the future (it's on my ToDo list) - but all prior media experiments that contained any peat did not fair well. I've also got some ideas about using that new Hygrolon as a media ...

Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    I've noticed when repotting Utricularia alpina that the largest leaves and tubers are the ones at the edge of the pot (normal pot, not net), basically the tubers seem to like touch the inside of the pot.
    From what I recall, the tubers in the U. endresii were spaced all through the media. When I repotted this U. alpina back in 2011, the tubers were packed solid in the pot, like a bunch of marbles.

Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    nice. My U. endersii is slowly getting smaller all the time.....
    I wonder what's wrong? I would think your conditions would be ideal - much better than my basement ..... your pots aren't sitting in water? Is there any liverwort on the media?

Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    U. nephrophylla x U. nelumbifolia seedling making buds:
    Keep an eye on this hybrid - it seems that it might not have the good sense to slow down flowering once it gets tired. I just cut 3 or 4 stalks from one pot because 1) each stalk was very long with lots of buds/flowers and 2) there was only 1 small leaf left on the plant. I'm somewhat concerned that I waited too long...

Some other random updates:
    - U. humboldtii that I stuck on an east-facing windowsill last year is sending up a stalk (my 1st for this species). This is the same windowsill that coaxed a flower out of U. reniformis f. courte (also my 1st)
    - stuck some tubers of U. campbelliana & U. jamesoniana on Hygrolon plaques to see how they grow
    - the small pieces of U. campbelliana that I placed on treefern plaques (back in Oct) have both sprouted new leaves & stolons
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)