Page 33 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: Utricularia, section Orchidioides - info sharing & discussion

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since we're on the topic of growing Utricularia aquatically, I thought I'd share how I'm growing my humboldtii right now. It's basically in a clear plastic lunch box. I keep a clear lid over it normally to keep it humid, and it has made a few shoots. I've only had it a few weeks, but it looks like this setup is working. There is actually a bit more water in there now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pearldiver, that plant is either a reniformis or a nelumbifolia, longifolia do not look anything like water lily leaves.
    As for wet feet, again, my reniformis love being swamped, but in temperate climates people have much more luck in drained mixes and daily watering (like misting)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Salgadoxx8 View Post
    I tried growing humboldtii as a pure aquatic, it always dies, idk how it is that they grow inside bromeliad tanks in the wild but not in captivity. not gonna give up though maybe it needs slow adjustment? I have even seen pics where the utricularia was growing inside the bromeliad without substrate just water :P
    Here is my interpretation of how humboldtii may be able to be grown in bromeliads tanks in captivity. I've repeated this basic setup with and without medium many times over the years, there is always a small amount of loose sphagnum in the water tank thou. I just have much better growth with even a tiny amount of sphagnum. I'm found that growing humboldtii without medium in just an inch or so of water leads to growths that just will not support themselves and fall over with any movement. So I've started adding tree fern fibers to give it something to grab onto. If my overall health holds out I'm planning on building a brom/humboldtii vivarium this spring.

Utricularia humboldtii by randallsimpson, on Flickr
    This type of growth really makes me think its growing in a brom and looking for another water tank. Years ago when I first got this species I would move a seed pot over for the new runner to find to propogate the species...now I just ....rrrrriiiiiiiipppppp!

There are a lot more aquatic leaves in that tiny pot than I can get a photo of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my interpretation of how humboldtii may be able to be grown in bromeliads tanks in captivity. I've repeated this basic setup with and without medium many times over the years, there is always a small amount of loose sphagnum in the water tank thou. I just have much better growth with even a tiny amount of sphagnum. I'm found that growing humboldtii without medium in just an inch or so of water leads to growths that just will not support themselves and fall over with any movement. So I've started adding tree fern fibers to give it something to grab onto. If my overall health holds out I'm planning on building a brom/humboldtii vivarium this spring.
    I have thought of this idea but never really confirmed it with anyone who has actually seen one growing in the wild inside a tank bromeliad until now that you have a similar view of it, perhaps you are right about the key is having some kind support, im sure in the wild the axils get stuffed with some kind debris the wind blows into in the water and the plant uses it for support? or maybe the plant uses the compactness between leaves to hold on? another key is probably the presence of its specialized aquatic leaves inside the urn cause when I tried it and it died it didnt have aquatic leaves which probably help the plant with aquatic underwater respiration

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...howtopic=31103, about 2/3rd down the first page he gets to humboldtii. The thread that made me want to try and pair these two plants for years. I finally have the space and means to do so, now I just need the weather to get the brom

Its clear from the photos the water pool is not clean and all sorts of stuff is likely inside the water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool. what brom genus are you thinking of using? I was browsing and found this photo, its the closest to how it probably looks inside the urn somewhat muddy, notice the larva it caught inside a huge trap?

http://www.tierralatina.pl/wp-conten...ii-580x435.jpg
    Gen 1:11

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be Brocchinia reducta.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try to grow U. humboldtii in Brocchinia tatei from Duida Tepui and it finally starts to grow better, but it took some time! If I were you I would try a broader bromeliad...
    Brocchinia reducta is getting too tubular and high!

Cheers
    Marc

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got it in a trade, labeled as U. reniformis. That is all I know about it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adalea, those were two different plants. The longifolia did not show any leaves, just the flower stalk.