Page 34 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: Utricularia, section Orchidioides - info sharing & discussion

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Items I'm selling
    I always thought Aechmea species would be great for growing Utrics in. They have large tanks that hold copious amounts of water.

Engineer in Biotechnology coline's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, normally every single bromeliad plant is stuffed with substrate from rotten leaves, it may be cases where there is not as much but it is what is normal, you guys should try to look for dead tree leaves and placing them inside your bromeliads, in the very crown, while they rot and the plant grows, they go to the smaller "puddles" that each leaf has, and now, when you see them filled with some kind of dirt inside, really brown, place a healthy utric inside the second set of leaves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks Coline! will definitely try it
    Gen 1:11

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering, what do people do with the runners that humboldtii makes? My plants are making a few runners, and one of them got to the top of the container, so I bent it back down into the substrate but it's not doing anything so far. Am I supposed to just let the runner grow naturally in the air to make a new plant? Or do they even produce new growth in cultivation?

I have another plant in a plastic tub with more room, so I'm just letting that one grow freely.

Also, what color are the bladders on humboldtii usually? They looked white when I got it, but I also have some stems that look like gibba. They are green and the bladders are pretty small. The person I received the plant from didn't say anything about keeping gibba, let alone giving it to me, but can anyone ID what the plant in the top right and bottom right of the pictures are?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Items I'm selling
    Quote Originally Posted by coline View Post
    Yes, normally every single bromeliad plant is stuffed with substrate from rotten leaves, it may be cases where there is not as much but it is what is normal, you guys should try to look for dead tree leaves and placing them inside your bromeliads, in the very crown, while they rot and the plant grows, they go to the smaller "puddles" that each leaf has, and now, when you see them filled with some kind of dirt inside, really brown, place a healthy utric inside the second set of leaves.
    You may also be able to mimic this by stuffing lfs into the axils.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Tanukimo, I let the runners run. I figure that if they have made it to the surface themselves then they must have done so on purpose.

Engineer in Biotechnology coline's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    putting LFS inside is not a natural thing to find and behaves differently on decomposing and nutrients

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    @Tanukimo, I let the runners run. I figure that if they have made it to the surface themselves then they must have done so on purpose.
    But does anything grow from them when they are just in the air?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Items I'm selling
    Quote Originally Posted by coline View Post
    putting LFS inside is not a natural thing to find and behaves differently on decomposing and nutrients
    I fully understand that sphagnum is not naturally found in the axils of bromeliads. I was just wondering if maybe it would be possible to use sphagnum or a high grade peat as a substitute for what would otherwise be naturally occuring leaf debris. This could possibly offer the Utricularia a purchase for their roots inside the tanks of the broms. At any rate, I think it's worth a shot and if I can scrounge up some room here I'll try it myself. Large Aechmea specimens can usually be purchased cheaply from the large box stores and local garden centers and would probably be a good species to use for this.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I have grown U. humboldtii in small cups/containers filled with a few pieces of sphagnum plus about 1/2-1" of water for years so I know that is possible without much effort. I do get better growth when the cups get random plant matter into them so I usually don't clean the cups.

If you want to grow the biggest and best U. humboldtii this is not the way to go imo, but I've wanted to get those 2 species together for a very long time so I'm been working out a method to grow U. humboldtii that I think I could easily move over to the Brom when I was ready.