Page 38 of 47 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Utricularia, section Orchidioides - info sharing & discussion

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No matter how well I think my plants are doing Ron's always look so much better .

Amazing flowers!

An update on the "What is my 'Jikta' doing...

DSC_0335 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

DSC_0333 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

DSC_0334 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ron sent me a few stolon cuttings of species/hybrids in this section, so I'm trying them out in a method similar to one he's posted here previously (live sphag slurry in a tall glass petri dish under a small CFL desk lamp. The species I'm currently playing with in this system are praetermissa, Jitka, quelchii, and humboldtii. So far, I'm seeing active growth in at least a few. They've been in this system for about a month now.

Those small side stolons are new growth since being planted this way. I hope to grow some of these out and try them mounted in conditions similar to how I grow orchids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't seen any of these for a while (as well as the several other stalks that are developing). It would seem to be supportive of the new growing approach (although I have trouble believing it)
    U. jamesoniana

Although I'll never find the seeds, I may try a cross with the developing U. campbelliana flower
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Engineer in Biotechnology coline's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talking again about the utrics growing on bromeliads in the tropics, does anyone want to help me find out if they may actualy grow like that on natural bromeliads? I have lots of natural growing ones on my trees, such as this one on my Acnistus arborescens tree which is fruiting now.

The plan is to plant the utric in the bromelia plant and observe how it grows using the water it has naturally.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coline View Post
    Talking again about the utrics growing on bromeliads in the tropics, does anyone want to help me find out if they may actualy grow like that on natural bromeliads? I have lots of natural growing ones on my trees, such as this one on my Acnistus arborescens tree which is fruiting now.

The plan is to plant the utric in the bromelia plant and observe how it grows using the water it has naturally.
    I actually did once try to grow a U. humboldtii inside a bromeliad. The utric started exploring and growing, but it was fatal for the bromeliad. Slime algae contamination from the source material of the utricularia grower who gave me the plant completely choked the bromeliad. Since the centre is the growth point for these plants, if it gets choked with algae, the bromeliad starts a steady decline. No matter how hard I tried to get rid of the utric and algae, it was all in vain. The algae would always come back and grow inside the rosette "pond". It finally perished.

But coming to topic...just wanted to add my own contribution to this thread. It's of the best examples of how great this community can be and how sharing information can help everyone to achieve their goals. Hats off to Ron and everyone else who have contributed here. You guys are awesome.

I have always admired the epiphytic utrics..but never managed to get them and always focused on neps instead. I finally got my dream utricularia ... U. quelchii late last year. It didn't do anything for almost 6 months and didn't make a single new leaf for all of winter...and then suddenly once the temps went from the standard 65F to a more 70-75F...it took off and grew 13 leaves in the span of 3 months. Unfortunately, I don't remember the media I used. I just got a new clone from BCP and want to replicate the conditions. I also got my first U. jamesoniana ..although it did dry out a little bit. I will pot it in LFS in a xaxim pot and see if that works out.

Last edited by vraev; 08-01-2014 at 12:31 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    Is that another utric behind and to the right of the quelchii patch?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh no. Thats a true orchid. Forgot what it was...maybe a Poroglossum species? picked it up at an orchid show.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Utricularia campbelliana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From an uncouth Nepenthes collector, U. quelchii:

It was less interesting (to me) when I got it 7 months back

I'm scared I might find myself collecting more of these. Heaven forbid this one should ever flower!
    Last edited by Clue; 08-01-2014 at 12:43 PM.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    Utricularia campbelliana
    Spectacular plant Kula. This is another one of my favourite wishlist species. I love the leaves and the flowers of course.

Great progress with the quelchii Clue. I guess this species regularly takes a few months to settle into our conditions.