Ron sent me a few stolon cuttings of species/hybrids in this section, so I'm trying them out in a method similar to one he's posted here previously (live sphag slurry in a tall glass petri dish under a small CFL desk lamp. The species I'm currently playing with in this system are praetermissa, Jitka, quelchii, and humboldtii. So far, I'm seeing active growth in at least a few. They've been in this system for about a month now.
Those small side stolons are new growth since being planted this way. I hope to grow some of these out and try them mounted in conditions similar to how I grow orchids.
Haven't seen any of these for a while (as well as the several other stalks that are developing). It would seem to be supportive of the new growing approach (although I have trouble believing it)
Although I'll never find the seeds, I may try a cross with the developing U. campbelliana flower
All the best,
You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt
*** Growlist / Wants / Offers *** (with Pics)
Talking again about the utrics growing on bromeliads in the tropics, does anyone want to help me find out if they may actualy grow like that on natural bromeliads? I have lots of natural growing ones on my trees, such as this one on my Acnistus arborescens tree which is fruiting now.
The plan is to plant the utric in the bromelia plant and observe how it grows using the water it has naturally.
But coming to topic...just wanted to add my own contribution to this thread. It's of the best examples of how great this community can be and how sharing information can help everyone to achieve their goals. Hats off to Ron and everyone else who have contributed here. You guys are awesome.
I have always admired the epiphytic utrics..but never managed to get them and always focused on neps instead. I finally got my dream utricularia ... U. quelchii late last year. It didn't do anything for almost 6 months and didn't make a single new leaf for all of winter...and then suddenly once the temps went from the standard 65F to a more 70-75F...it took off and grew 13 leaves in the span of 3 months. Unfortunately, I don't remember the media I used. I just got a new clone from BCP and want to replicate the conditions. I also got my first U. jamesoniana ..although it did dry out a little bit. I will pot it in LFS in a xaxim pot and see if that works out.
True Bugs really Suck
From an uncouth Nepenthes collector, U. quelchii:
It was less interesting (to me) when I got it 7 months back
I'm scared I might find myself collecting more of these. Heaven forbid this one should ever flower!