Page 39 of 47 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Utricularia, section Orchidioides - info sharing & discussion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful pic Vrae! U.humboldtii has always/will always be my favorite plant. How did you manage to keep it alive with just water apart from the fact that it killed your bromeliad with algae? Ive always tried to grow it using pure water but it always rots and dies. Did you use peat or sphagnum?

Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    I actually did once try to grow a U. humboldtii inside a bromeliad. The utric started exploring and growing, but it was fatal for the bromeliad. Slime algae contamination from the source material of the utricularia grower who gave me the plant completely choked the bromeliad. Since the centre is the growth point for these plants, if it gets choked with algae, the bromeliad starts a steady decline. No matter how hard I tried to get rid of the utric and algae, it was all in vain. The algae would always come back.

Gen 1:11

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Salgadoxx8 View Post
    Beautiful pic Vrae! U.humboldtii has always/will always be my favorite plant. How did you manage to keep it alive with just water apart from the fact that it killed your bromeliad with algae? Ive always tried to grow it using pure water but it always rots and dies. Did you use peat or sphagnum?
    I did not grow it in there for more than 6 months....I then ripped it out and threw it away. It grew in the water just as you can see. I never had any media/moss in there. It was in pure water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a picture from my U. humboldtii (broad form from Cerro Neblina) which I planted two years ago beside a nice Brocchinia tatei from Cerro Duida. Since about 1.5 years it started to grow in the bromeliad growing much better in it than on soil...

Cheers
    Marc

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My new acquisition.

U. jamesoniana

potted up with a lepanthes that was going downhill in a pot.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No posts in a few months so I figure I can update my version of slack potting.

Here is the quelchii, it lost a few leaves over the hot summer months but is springing back nicely.

Utricularia quelchii by randallsimpson, on Flickr

The "jar" version with the tree fern totem.
    Utricularia 'Jitka' by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Utricularia quelchii cube.
    Utricularia quelchii by randallsimpson, on Flickr
    I've now had two of these disformed leaves, one in my 'Jitka' and one with my quelchii. Both of these are in similar but different enclosures so cross contamination is unlikely. I do spray a fert mix close to both of these so maybe its something to do with getting a dose one week then nothing for the next few weeks. Any thoughts? Either way it looks neat.
    Utricularia quelchii Disformed leaf by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2-3 years ago, I started to grow U. reniformis (smaller clone) on my east-facing windowsill because it refused to flower in the basement under lights. In the spring, it flowered. The next year, I added some other smaller clones & they also flowered. However, the way U. reniformis quickly finds the bottom of the pot & comes out makes repotting a real problem. I also noticed that Dean Cook grows his large form U. reniformis in a tub. When I received another one of the small clones (this one labelled 'Enfant terrible') from a buddy, I figured I'd grow half in a pot & half in a small tub.

Both grew well but in a surprise move, the plant in the tub flowered in the spring & then each time one stalk was spent, it sent up another so there were flowers all summer. The potted plant didn't flower.

My apologies but I was busy with other stuff this summer & didn't capture the flowers. Here's the tub (obligatory penny for scale is in right corner):

... and here's the whole thing with the spent stalks:

For comparison, here's one of the potted clones with the last flower of the season (this one's been on the windowsill for a few years & this is it's only flower this year - all the potted plants have similar foliage)

.... and the flower:

For me, the tub is a win:win. I'm going to try one of the larger clones as soon as I clear some space on the windowsill (they've also never flowered in the basement).

On a completely different topic, last winter lots of stuff flowered so I did as many crosses as I could. Many never produced any seed and others that produced seed never germinated. However, a few did sprout. Ironically, the one that had the highest percent of germinations also had the smallest seeds & the only one I selfed - U. campbelliana:

I hedged my bets with some of the seed - I sowed some on chopped live LFS & some on a piece of cotton pad. Both sides worked. In another odd twist, I shared seed with some other fellow utric growers & neither had any germinations - it's not like the seeds weren't viable when they left - something in the postal system - or just dried out??
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a lot of germination. I divided up the seeds and tried 4 different methods, including the 2 you were successful with. Many seeds appeared to swell within the first few days but, I didn't have a single one actually sprout. To the best of my knowledge my seeds were no more than 5 days old or so. Could they really dessicate in the mail that quickly ? I don't think temps would have been an issue since they were in the basement where it doesn't get above the mid 70's even on the hottest summer days. There was ample lighting and plenty of humidity. It's an even greater mystery to me now that I see just what percentage of yours actually germinated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had similar experiences with U. unifolia seed from South America (although transit time was obviously longer). Super-fresh seed & nothing germinated - while the grower had close to 100% germination.

Although the seeds themselves are massively different, Travis placed U. humboldtii seeds on moist paper towels when he did a giveaway a few years back & most people had good germinations (I'm still growing one of those clones). I think we need to try that approach next time we ship Orchidioides seed or possibly do a 50:50 split.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something must be going awry in transit. It definitely seems that the seeds should not be allowed to dry out for any length of time. I would have to say that shipping them on a damp paper towel may be the key, given the amount of germination you got with sowing them directly after harvest compared to 0% we experienced. I can't imagine the conditions we tried germinating them in were a whole lot different from yours. It's great to see that you've done so well with these though, great work Ron !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U. campbelliana