Page 40 of 47 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Utricularia, section Orchidioides - info sharing & discussion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spectacular plant Mach! Have you gotten flowers yet?

Also, what are everyone's cultivation conditions for U. praetermissa? This is one of my dream plants, and I hope to get one someday (really far in the future), but specific information seems rather sparse.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mach - that thing has really taken off! What's your secret sauce (water bath?)?

Quote Originally Posted by w03 View Post
    Also, what are everyone's cultivation conditions for U. praetermissa?
    Same as the other large Orchidioides (not Iperua) (for me - can't speak for everyone else). Mine is flowering now...

This is one of my dream plants, and I hope to get one someday (really far in the future), but specific information seems rather sparse.
    I know this may sound rude - but - have you read this thread? What info hasn't been shared?

We created this thread specifically so people who are interested in growing Orchidioides have info from various growers on how they do it. I know it's gotten quite long but there's a ton of great info in here as well as many cool pics. Take some time to wander through it - if you have questions - feel free to ask.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    outside in shadehouse with neps. Sitting in deli cup with some live sphagnum. the rest is ambient conditions.

so dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Mach - that thing has really taken off! What's your secret sauce (water bath?)?

Same as the other large Orchidioides (not Iperua) (for me - can't speak for everyone else). Mine is flowering now...

I know this may sound rude - but - have you read this thread? What info hasn't been shared?

We created this thread specifically so people who are interested in growing Orchidioides have info from various growers on how they do it. I know it's gotten quite long but there's a ton of great info in here as well as many cool pics. Take some time to wander through it - if you have questions - feel free to ask.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post

Its not rude at all, if anything it's my oversight. I looked through this thread a while back, but it seems I went rather quickly and missed things. Now I found what i was looking for though, thanks!

Also, I'd love to see pics of those praetermissa flowers!
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I'd love to see pics of those praetermissa flowers!
    Here's a not-ready-for-primetime pic (iPhone thru glass) in the 'jungle'

On the topic of providing a quick reference growing guide - I struggle with it - especially as so many have contributed in this thread. Here's a post from earlier this year when someone else posed a similar question.
    All the best,
    Ron

(with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a beautiful bloom, Ron! Your utrics really look like they're going wild in your conditions!

Are the other leaves in the back also utrics (other than praetermissa)? I think I see quelchii next to one of the big nep pitchers.
    Last edited by w03; 11-10-2014 at 06:18 AM.
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the topic of a quick reference guide, it is just a bad idea in general. Look at all the misconceptions about Cephs due to these guides. I'd even be against adding labels as easy/hard species, it works for orchids well due to the much larger grower base, and TONs of published information specific to the species. With Utrics there are just not enough people growing/reporting on each species to get these types of lists together.

I've noticed ALOT more tree fern being used with these Utrics over the last few years, something guides would not have included but seems a good growing option.

A great example would be U. humboldtii 5-7 years ago no one would have put in a guide that you could keep it alive on a windowsill in a low humidity house but guess what you can. And it is not just Ron's Bladder Encrusted Gloden Thumb (BEGT for short), others have been able to reproduce results, mine are a tiny fragment of his but I still have positive results.

As for adding tubs to the guide there is another problem, I've had no success with them for years but clearly they work. Why are they working so well for Ron and not for me? It is not the tub, something else is at work here, I've always been quick to blame my temps since it just makes more sense down here in TX we are on average going to be higher year round.

On the subject of the seeds, all I can think of is maybe they are a quick turn seed and need to get germinating fast. The few days in the mail might just be too long? I know of other non CP species that require germination within 12-24 hours so why not these also. Just guessing, Utric seeds and me have never had a good relationship.

This thread is very likely the largest single source of info out there for these species, think about that for a minute.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a beautiful bloom, Ron! Your utrics really look like they're going wild in your conditions!
    Yes - things are pretty wild in there at the moment. Many are in need of repotting and when they fill one of those netpots, they grow all over (quelchii example, asplundii example - both of those pots were in this tank)

Are the other leaves in the back also utrics (other than praetermissa)? I think I see quelchii next to one of the big nep pitchers.
    There are other utric leaves visible but the one to the left of the flower is actually a side view of a N. robcantleyi leaf. There are quelchii leaves below left & below right of the flower. The crinkled flower in front of the praeter flower is an old asplundii bloom & asplundii leaves are below & to the left. Praeter leves are to the right of the flower & the large mass in the upper right is a U. humboldtii leaf (they are 2-3" wide & 16-18" high in this tank - it's 1st flower stalk was something over 48" long).
    Last edited by RL7836; 11-10-2014 at 07:51 AM.
    All the best,
    Ron

(with Pics)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <----Puts on my "I hate moss" T-shirt

More odd things I've been doing and having success with. Both of these are growing in seed starting sponges. NOT normal sponges Both are under 6m old but growing well.

Utricularia 'Jitka' - The above sponge growth has been very minimal but there was only about 1" total "root" when I planted it and no bladders. This one is just sitting in about 1/2" or less water. I do allow this watering tray to completely dry out for a day or two but the sponge is never anywhere near dry.

Utricularia 'Jitka'
    by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Utricularia 'Jitka'

Utricularia nephrophylla - This one is only about 2m old nothing growing into the water yet, but the top growth is 3-4X what I started with. I need to add something to block out the light from the water still.

Utricularia nephrophylla

Utricularia nephrophylla

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    As for adding tubs to the guide there is another problem, I've had no success with them for years but clearly they work.
    I think this tub is a special case. Over the years I noticed that U. reniformis acted like U. longifolia in that, soon after potting, new rolons would pop out the bottom holes. U. longifolia loves living in the water saucer. With the similarities and the fact that U. reniformis has those large swollen pain-in-the-butt rolons - it made sense to try a tray/tub. The blooming all summer on the windowsill was a really pleasant unexpected gift.

In general, I dislike having pots sitting in water. It's conducive to anaerobic conditions (depending on media & environment) & I have a somewhat irrational distaste for that state. However, if a plant continually shows a desire for those conditions, it would be silly for me to ignore their wishes. Most of the original Orchidioides (not including Iperua) seem to detest a no-oxygen media. Success with U. campbelliana & jamesoniana sitting in water (as seen in Mach's post above & my treefern & hygrolon plaques) doesn't seem to be an exception since the open/airy plaques don't develop anaerobic conditions - probably similar to the sponges in your post.

In the future, I hope to have an environment with automatic misting/sprinkling so there would be no need to sit the epiphytes in water.
    ----------
    **Edit** After I closed this post, I looked at my windowsill. In addition to the large reniformis which I will soon be adding, there is a small container of U. geminiloba that I added last January. Since I knew it wouldn't handle the super-low household humidity in the winter (at least w/o acclimation), I placed a small division in a takeout clamshell container. When summer rolled around, I opened the clamshell to keep from creating a solar oven. Although I can't say it has 'taken off' with growth, the division has increased steadily in size - it now has 1" leaves on 2.5" petioles. This is still much smaller than my basement plant but since the basement plant has never flowered for me - I needed to try something (hey it worked with reniformis...!).
    Last edited by RL7836; 11-10-2014 at 11:16 AM. Reason: added info on windowsill U. geminiloba
    All the best,
    Ron

(with Pics)