Likes Likes:  30
Page 43 of 59 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: Utricularia, section Orchidioides - info sharing & discussion

Engineer in Biotechnology coline's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    putting LFS inside is not a natural thing to find and behaves differently on decomposing and nutrients

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    @Tanukimo, I let the runners run. I figure that if they have made it to the surface themselves then they must have done so on purpose.
    But does anything grow from them when they are just in the air?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coline View Post
    putting LFS inside is not a natural thing to find and behaves differently on decomposing and nutrients
    I fully understand that sphagnum is not naturally found in the axils of bromeliads. I was just wondering if maybe it would be possible to use sphagnum or a high grade peat as a substitute for what would otherwise be naturally occuring leaf debris. This could possibly offer the Utricularia a purchase for their roots inside the tanks of the broms. At any rate, I think it's worth a shot and if I can scrounge up some room here I'll try it myself. Large Aechmea specimens can usually be purchased cheaply from the large box stores and local garden centers and would probably be a good species to use for this.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I have grown U. humboldtii in small cups/containers filled with a few pieces of sphagnum plus about 1/2-1" of water for years so I know that is possible without much effort. I do get better growth when the cups get random plant matter into them so I usually don't clean the cups.

If you want to grow the biggest and best U. humboldtii this is not the way to go imo, but I've wanted to get those 2 species together for a very long time so I'm been working out a method to grow U. humboldtii that I think I could easily move over to the Brom when I was ready.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be related to how much prey there is for the Utricularia humboldtii to feed on. It makes sense that there would more microorganisms in water with decaying or just organic material in it than just plain water, so that might be why putting just a little bit of medium in the water is better than putting nothing at all. Of course, if you fertilize your plants that is a different story.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While on the subject of growing Utrics in standing stagnant water...

U. asplundii growing in a "Insert popular chain hardware store name" Deathcube. Many years back I was not able to remove all the bladders from the homemade net pot it was growing in and since I just can not throw out a perfectly good plant part I dumped it into this cube and forgot about it. Generally it has about 1" of water in there at all times, its never been changed and only gets topped off.

It has flowered on and off for a few years and is not exactly a "healthy" plant.

Another one of those not the best way to grow this species disclaimers. My main plant IS NOT being grown like this.

DSC_0121 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

The current flower is not completely open yet but.

Utricularia asplundii by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm I didn't know they made deathcubes out of glass or such high quality plastic. Nice flower, although the color of the stolons looks a little bit off.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting..... I use the cubes to grow the long-rooted plants like pygmy and tuberous sundews.....
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist