What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OK, the more I read about U. reniformis, the more confused I get. I'm going to receive some seeds of reniformis (large form) soon, so have been checking out cultivation requirements. Some sources say that it should be grown wet, whilst others have it growing in open orchid like composts - quite contradictory conditions ???

that would be becayse there are a number of clones floating around....some prefer certain conditions than others and ive noticed my definition of wet feet differs from some....i grow most my utrics with wet feet.....with some this means a heavy soil in a tray of water, with some it means a really chunky mix in a tall pot in a tray of water....everything i grow is in a tray of water, i just vary the mix to suit the plant best as i can figure....

I have lined a plastic net pot with dried NZ Sphagnum moss and used a mix of peat/cypress mulch/dried sphagnum/peat chunks inside that, so it's a free draining mix. I was going to water germinate the U. reniformis seeds and then transfer them to the aforementioned mix, but now I'm really not sure if it is correct or not.

I have lined a plastic net pot with dried NZ Sphagnum moss and used a mix of peat/cypress mulch/dried sphagnum/peat chunks inside that, so it's a free draining mix. I was going to water germinate the U. reniformis seeds and then transfer them to the aforementioned mix, but now I'm really not sure if it is correct or not.

mobile, what could help is if you knew the preferences of the plants the seed came from. at least you could have a baseline and start from there...

****** Update time ******

Last year I repotted many/most of my large utrics into netpots. As I suspected, I now have a love / hate relationship with them. Every plant that I stick in one (w/ live LFS) does better than previously and some are growing massively better.

Here's a plant that is enjoying the new neighborhood (suspected of being U. alpina x humboldtii):
Ualpxhumbtop062111RS.jpg

.... but here's the rub - how the heck do you keep something like this away from the neighbors?
Ualpxhumbbot062111RS.jpg

Here's a full pic:
Ualpxhumball062111RS.jpg

In Jan, I mounted my U. jamesoniana on a treefern slab. It grew well for a while, then stopped and did noting for several months. When it looked like it was going to lose it's final remaining green leaf, it woke up and took off...
Ujamesoniana062911RS.jpg

In May, I posted a quick preview pic of one of my U. asplundii flowers. They have been flowering non-stop since then and more open every day. I've done several pollination sessions and have offered seed over here. In that post, I also mentioned that the two plants I'm growing have shown consistently different flowers (with U. nelumbifolia for comparison):
Uasplundiiflowercomparison061711RS.jpg

Here is a pic of the more vigorous plant growing in pure live LFS (it has the shorter lobes and lighter center section):
UasplundiiL-whole060511RS.jpg

Close-up of a shorter lobe flower:
UasplundiiL4060511RS.jpg

.... and a longer lobe one (plant in a mixed media):
UasplundiiP4060511RS.jpg

Virtually all of the flowers on the plant with the darker flowers had long lobes that didn't unfurl evenly.

.... another short lobe flower:
UasplundiiL2061611RS.jpg

... and another long lobe one:
Uasplundiip1061611RS.jpg

Side-views:
UasplundiiL-side060511RS.jpg

Uasplundiip-side1061611RS.jpg

... and views of flowers on the stems:
UasplundiiL-stem060511RS.jpg

UasplundiiP-stem060511RS.jpg

As you can see from the multiple pics, there are additional differences between the flowers (beyond what I've mentioned).

Here are a few U. nelumbifolia flower pics - the 1st pic was already posted in the macro pic thread:
Unelumbifoliaflowerbct1sze061011RS.jpg

This one was taken at the same time but didn't make the original cut (not the same flower as previous pic):
Unelumbifoliaflower061011RS.jpg

.... and a friend that found a warm spot under my new bank of T-5 lights:
UrenwgarterRS.jpg

The more I see them, the more I'm falling for the Orchidioides, what an impressive group of Utrics

very nice ron. glad to see that jamesoniana take off for you!

Did some long overdue maintenance in the utric tanks this weekend and finally took the U. quelchii pot out for a haircut & pic.

Here's the plant back in January:
Uquelchiimisc011511RS.jpg

.... and this past weekend:
Uquelchii071611RS.jpg

On an unrelated note, my U. alpina 'Pittier Moon' is sending up a stalk now - in the hottest part of the summer - I hope it makes it - and I hope the others take note & get jealous ...

A few more unrelated notes / observations:
- harvested seed from crosses:
---U. nelumbifolia x U. asplundii (shipped spares out already)
---U. nephrophylla x U. nelumbifolia (only got a few - although more than last year)

---previously pollinated 2 U. nephrophylla flowers w/ U. asplundii pollen (u. nephrophylla x U. asplundii) -- neither pod had any seeds in it. What's up with that?

---previously pollinated a U. asplundii flower w/ U. longifolia pollen - I was quite shocked to see the pod has swollen as large as others. Will provide update if I get any seeds. (the 1st U. asplundii pollinations should be ready for harvest in the next week or so...)

---none of the U. praelonga x U. longifolia crosses (or reverse) produced seed (section foliosa)
---none of the selfed U. praelonga pollinations produced any seed either ... ???

Wow!! Thats a happy Utric.

Guess the net pots are working well for you. Now I just need to get one of those roots to find its way into a pot with my name on it :-D.

Ron, do you grow these using modified slack potting method as Pyro was describing or just top water the pots regularly?

I apologize if this was asked before.

Last edited:
Ron, do you grow these using modified slack potting method as Pyro was describing or just top water the pots regularly?
'Normal' Orchidioides - top water when the live LFS on top has some dry sections (usually daily) - when they are in growth mode. U. humboldtii & nelumbifolia are kept somewhat wetter - but have yet to truly find what's optimal for them & reniformis. U. nephrophylla can be grown like other small weedy utrics. When flowering slows down or stops, a repotting will act like a catalyst for several more months of flowers (at least for my primary vigorous clone).

I also don't know whether I have Orchidioides 'dry season' identification down yet (along w/ concomitant watering). Thankfully several species have been forgiving with my 'errors'.

it's beginning to sound like the Orchidioides complex might be para or polyphyletic....beautiful plants Ron!

it's beginning to sound like the Orchidioides complex might be para or polyphyletic....
It's much easier to understand the 'original' Orchidioides species when Iperua are considered separately imho. The Iperua species are an eclectic group but the fact that most will produce fertile seed when crossed does suggest that they are closely related...

I'm curious about several things (off the top of my head):

- why was U. geminiloba included in Iperua instead of Orchidioides (I think it's the only one in Iperua w/ tubers)?
- what kept U. tricolor & U. longifolia out of section Orchidioides (or at least out of Iperua)?

looking at the 'original' Orchidioides species vs Iperua it seems that the majority of the Orchidoides seem to be closer to epiphytes or lithophytes vs Iperua terrestrial/semi aquatic..... I do not completely buy the fertile offspring concept. Look at orchids as a whole. Inter generic hybrids that are fertile. Maybe doesn't work so well for plants as it does for animals

@gill: works for some, not for all. for those is the former Ipurea complex, im sure that will work fine...maybe even for a few of the true orchidioides complex, but there are those that look as if made to grow epiphytically such as jamesoniana and campbelliana which may not do as well.

~shudders~ My skin began to crawl at the sight of that snake.

Does anyone else ever get mildew on their utrics? Alot of mine have it and I cant get rid of it, can anyone help me? Also on a side note I was reading that some were having troubles with U. praetermissa. I think people were keeping it to wet, from my experiances with it I've noticed it likes being on the dry side.

adam: i've been growing U. praetermissa mounted orchid bark with live sphag....this allows any excessive water to collect and drip off the mount.

I was wondering if something similar was tried by fellow growers here with success:

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=42500
Not sure exactly what you mean ... ? I know Pyro experiments with stuff all the time. He explains some of his playing over here.

I've done some experimenting (as it is in my nature). My experiences w/ U. reniformis media mirrors Sebulon's (& other's I've read). They prefer peat in the mix. Otoh, I've had better growth with pure live LFS in net pots than with any other media - for the larger non-Iperua Orchidioides. For the smaller ones, I'm playing with treefern plaques.

Overall, i'm very happy with the netpots & LFS for the big tuber-forming utrics. Dialing in conditions for U. nelumbifolia, U. humboldtii & U. reniformis continues to be a work-in-progress. While there is some success, I definitely believe I have a ways to go - moisture levels - in & out of dormancy will probably always challenge me ... :scratch:
Does anyone else ever get mildew on their utrics? Alot of mine have it and I cant get rid of it, can anyone help me?
Sorry - but have not seen this at all (& hope I never do ((as he knocks on wood))). Maybe with more info on your setup, some of the experienced utric-keepers can offer some advice...

Also on a side note I was reading that some were having troubles with U. praetermissa. I think people were keeping it to wet, from my experiances with it I've noticed it likes being on the dry side.
Good to know - thanks. I lost my 1st plant - I suspect that I was keeping it too wet after it arrived - even though I 'thought' I was keeping it quite dry. The replacement plant is holding it's own so far ...

Not sure exactly what you mean ... ? I know Pyro experiments with stuff all the time. He explains some of his playing over here.

I've done some experimenting (as it is in my nature). My experiences w/ U. reniformis media mirrors Sebulon's (& other's I've read). They prefer peat in the mix. Otoh, I've had better growth with pure live LFS in net pots than with any other media - for the larger non-Iperua Orchidioides. For the smaller ones, I'm playing with treefern plaques.

Overall, i'm very happy with the netpots & LFS for the big tuber-forming utrics. Dialing in conditions for U. nelumbifolia, U. humboldtii & U. reniformis continues to be a work-in-progress. While there is some success, I definitely believe I have a ways to go - moisture levels - in & out of dormancy will probably always challenge me ... :scratch:

I meant this type of soil for nelumbifolia. I have planted the utric you have sent me in live sphagnum and trying to grow it like Pyro did (trailing some moss strands into water while the pot with the plant is suspended on top of it absorbing water through capillary action when not top watered). It is not doing to well. Reniformis and humboldtii are doing ok in it...

Back