Informational! Informational!:  6
Likes Likes:  30
Page 8 of 59 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: Utricularia, section Orchidioides - info sharing & discussion

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is one of my Utric. humboldtii looking for a new home. Guess I need to set a pot over there .

Utricularia humboldtii

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been wanting to document the foliage on most of my big utrics for a while, so today was the day - & I also have a few questions for the other growers... (also, if you haven't checked the past few posts for a bit, i've been sneaking in a few revisions - ie: james mounting...).

Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    Here is one of my Utric. humboldtii looking for a new home. Guess I need to set a pot over there .
    I'll see your humbo aerial stolon and raise it 10 U. nelumbifolia aerial stolons (give or take):

The three main U. humboldtii clones I'm now growing: (like the U. nelumbifolia above, were repotted in the fall into 4' x 4" x 4" net pots - that Av previously pictured).

U. humboldtii - misc clones from BCP (the top 4 leaves have grown since being repotted):

U. humboldtii - Broad Leaf, Cerro Neblina from BCP (still somewhat clumped up from the 2.5" pot):

U. humboldtii from the Barry/Travis seed giveaway - one of 3 seed clones. This is the oldest & largest humbo I have. Until about 2 weeks ago, it was growing like it was on steroids after the repotting into a net pot. Then, all of a sudden, two leaves wilted and most of the new growth stopped. My sense is that the lower humidity closer to the lights helped cause a downturn. Although I'm not sure that this is the cause, I've seen this a few times as my humbo's seem sensitive to changes in humidity - more so than U. nelumbifolia growing next to them. I've relocated it into the big tank to try & give it some more head room (this lack of vertical space is an issue for me). The tallest bent leaf is one of the oldest and was wired down to keep from frying in the lights (as you can see from the bend):

My little U. 'jitka'. The bad thing is that it is still so small, the good thing is that I received it with 2-3 tiny leaves, which then dropped to only one leaf and it has now rebounded - so it's heading in the right direction:

U. geminiloba in LFS - updated pic with newest big leaf:

U. quelchii - misc clone from BCP. It arrived this fall with the large, light-colored leaf - all of the others are recent additions:

Here's a U. alpina that has grown incredibly well since I received it this summer (recognize this Andrew?) (in a 3" modified pot - sides are sliced for aeration):

U. endresii from BCP - not as robust as I would like (or as good-looking as RSS):

U. alpina x humboldtii (maybe - not yet confirmed by flower - it may be another U. alpina - but all leaves are smaller than the other U. alpina's...) - this plant was potted from a small offshoot with one leaf (the yellowing one) that had escaped into the LFS growing around the pot. Since repotting, it has really surged (as you can see):

U. endresii x alpina - confirmed commercial plant (BCP?) - this plant is a beast. It has taken a real liking to growing out the sides of the net pot:

..... close-up of some of the newer growth coming out the side:

U. asplundii:

.... winger:

With many/most of my plants (when possible), I have planted one division into 100% live LFS and another in an 'open' peat mix. Without fail, every plant in the peat mix has been dramatically smaller than it's relative in the LFS. I suspect that it is my interpretation of the proportion of the ingredients in the mix. In my hands, the peat mixes all seem to be too dense and do not allow the good air permeability that the LFS provides (& net pots further enhance). Below is a U. asplundii that has been growing in a peat mix for ~1.5 years - yes - it only has 2 small leaves - around 1" tall. This pattern is repeated in net pots and regular pots. I will probably be repotting these into LFS soon (& maybe trying a few into super-open Nep-type mixes - like RSS):

An unrelated question: what are the growers, who are growing under lights, using as a photoperiod - winter/summer? How gradually do you transition from one period to the other?
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing utrics
    my growlist: http://terraforums.com/forums/showth...306#post976306
    My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/taliesin-ds/

<Exo> @Talie......You are the lord of all things blah....

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not using a summer/winter transition, mainly because I'm lazy and forgetful.

Something I noticed, your U. endressii leaves look thicker than mine. We both have the same clone so it can't be that. I'm getting larger leaves but they are thinner.

No fair your Jikta is larger than mine now!

I just moved a U. reniformis into a Nep type mix, I think it will do better in there.

Nice group of Utric's there, sure makes most of mine look tiny.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some great plants, thanks for sharing the photos Ron! Nice collection of various U.humboldtii, I noticed it slows down a lot it's growth a few weeks after repotting, he sure doesn't like it.

Peter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the generous comments. I just hope that now that I'm increasing hours of light that some of them will bloom (especially the big, robust ones).

I'm not using a summer/winter transition, mainly because I'm lazy and forgetful.
    So - how many hours do you keep your lights on? (12?)

Something I noticed, your U. endressii leaves look thicker than mine. We both have the same clone so it can't be that. I'm getting larger leaves but they are thinner.
    If this is true, it's probably due to my lower humidity. In the winter, the combination of much lower air moisture levels in the house and lower temps - hit my plants hard. First, I kept reducing the gaps over my tanks (to hold the humidity in) but then noticed that the cold air in the basement was causing massive condensation on the glass. I've insulated most of the tanks exterior so the humidity should be higher (but the meters are being shipped - so I'm not sure what level is). Next step is to install small fans inside the tank to increase air circulation & reduce stratification (bottom is very humid, top is dry).

No fair your Jikta is larger than mine now!
    Hopefully it keeps growing!

Quote Originally Posted by moof View Post
    I noticed it slows down a lot it's growth a few weeks after repotting, he sure doesn't like it.
    That's the thing, growth actually increased for a month or two after the repotting! None of the plants showed any signs of distress and started to grow & add leaves very quickly. Then my largest started to regress. It was quite the turnaround .. hopefully it will stop the slide & restart it's good growth...

Time to see some flowers ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Thanks for the generous comments. I just hope that now that I'm increasing hours of light that some of them will bloom (especially the big, robust ones).

So - how many hours do you keep your lights on? (12?)
    14 on/10 off

Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    If this is true, it's probably due to my lower humidity. In the winter, the combination of much lower air moisture levels in the house and lower temps - hit my plants hard. First, I kept reducing the gaps over my tanks (to hold the humidity in) but then noticed that the cold air in the basement was causing massive condensation on the glass. I've insulated most of the tanks exterior so the humidity should be higher (but the meters are being shipped - so I'm not sure what level is). Next step is to install small fans inside the tank to increase air circulation & reduce stratification (bottom is very humid, top is dry).:
    Thats kinda funny, I can't get mine to lower and you can't get yours to raise. I "thought" I hit the sweat spot in one of my vavariums...but 6 days later...the UG pot looked bad and too dry . Good thing its a weed. I'm blaming it on unusually warm winter here.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I'm setting up an Utric. nephrophylla tank here: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=125487

I'm taking down this little setup and going to reset it up with probably some Utric. tridentata to see how that does.

Anyway I figured someone might want to see the results, this was planted with a single stand layer of LFS topped with ADA aquasoil. The light levels were pretty low, thus the taller growth. Divisions of this one moved over to medium light levels quickly resumed normal growth but stopped flowering. None of the other nephrophylla pots I have in other conditions grew as well or flowered as much as this did. Over the last 6 months or so there has always been an open flower or a stalk heading up. I filled the undrained container once a week. I've replicated smaller setup's with mini-african violet pots filled with ADA aquasoil with good results, but the flowering never took off like this.

The dish as it was today.
    Utricularia nephrophylla

After I removed the driftwood.
    Utricularia nephrophylla

Page 8 of 59 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast