User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 9 to 13 of 13

Thread: Utricularia nephrophylla Lithophyte Experiment

  1. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saginaw, TX USA
    Posts
    1,567
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Neat experiment! Can you explain how you rigged up the pump thing with tubes and what model of pump is it? Also what kind of background will you be doing?
    The filter is a TOM Aquarium products - Mini Internal Filter. The filter comes with a spray bar that you can fit airline tubing onto to relocate the output. The filter is not strong enough to move much water up with all the outputs open, so I closed off 5 of them to allow for more flow. I'm not completetly happy with the flow rate so I might end up with a standard pump running into a spreader or spraybar. So far the filter is working great for the cost/size but I just need more. It seems like a good product but its only been on a few days. I'll probably play around with closing off another output and see what happens. I think I want more than the 3 outputs running water down that rock.

    For the background I'm planning on taking a piece of cork bark and cutting it to fit the back wall. I'll be adding great stuff to "waterseal" the underwater part. I should be able to stick gravel/rocks into the great stuff while its setting up to give it a more natural appearance. Now I've never tried any of this so I may be rethinking this after I make a huge mess .

  2. #10

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saginaw, TX USA
    Posts
    1,567
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the nephrophylla that was added, I can see some of it starting to "stand" out of the water so thats a good sign.

    Also gives a good look at the plumbing, I'll eventually cover it up so it looks more clean.
    Utricularia nephrophylla Setup Progress 4

  3. #11
    i dont do pots. amphirion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, US
    Posts
    3,498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dang, you siliconed the tubing onto the rock?
    i ended up using wire and twisted the tubes onto the wood. that way, when it's time to present the piece at a show or something, i can just take it out, and leave the hardware at home. of course i'll be misting the puppy like crazy!
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

  4. #12

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saginaw, TX USA
    Posts
    1,567
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    dang, you siliconed the tubing onto the rock?
    i ended up using wire and twisted the tubes onto the wood. that way, when it's time to present the piece at a show or something, i can just take it out, and leave the hardware at home. of course i'll be misting the puppy like crazy!
    Yep, I've tried many other methods of getting them to stay put. If it was wood I would not have siliconed it, but with rock I can easily remove the tubes without damaging the rocks. So far they haven't moved and I'll get to covering that mess up later so you can't see it.

    I have no plans of moving this for a few years.

  5. #13

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saginaw, TX USA
    Posts
    1,567
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was not happy with the flow from that filter, I just needed more so I ordered a Mini-Jet 404. I'm still very happy with the function of that filter and will probably use them in future projects, this project just needed more POWER!!!

    With the rather large amount of snow we got today the city pretty much shut down and I ended up with a day off . Everything went in very slowly as expected, but I just finished the first wet run and adjusted the pump to about 25% of its max. Almost perfect. I pulled off one of the tubes while adjusting things so I'm now waiting for the silicon to reharden. Misting the Utric every hour or so is getting old.

    With luck I will have everything up and running in an hour or two. I'm so much happier with this flow rate. I'll probably add some live sphagnum moss up top to cover up all that mess.

    The Utric. was doing good adjusting before I started all this, it should be fine in a few days.

    Here is a close-up of the new lines. Just ignore the pink 1lb weight, I find so many uses for those things. Its holding the tube in place.
    Utricularia nephrophylla Setup Progress 5

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone tried Utricularia nephrophylla as a Lithophyte?
    By RSS in forum Utricularia, Aldrovanda, Genlisea
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-22-2010, 03:32 PM
  2. Utricularia nephrophylla
    By Gawd_oOo in forum 2006 NASC Benefit Auction
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-14-2006, 11:20 PM
  3. Utricularia nephrophylla
    By Gawd_oOo in forum Utricularia, Aldrovanda, Genlisea
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-27-2006, 04:39 PM
  4. Utricularia nephrophylla
    By Tamlin Dawnstar in forum Utricularia, Aldrovanda, Genlisea
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-19-2003, 09:54 AM
  5. Utricularia nephrophylla
    By Martin in forum Utricularia, Aldrovanda, Genlisea
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-27-2002, 04:31 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •