What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. blanchetii

carnivoure12

Hear the Call of Nepenthes
Hey everyone,

This is U. blanchetii, a very nice Utric, that is flowering very nicely :) I'd like to share some pictures:

DSC00115.jpg

DSC00111.jpg

Sorry for the bad pics, but the flowers are quite small.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awww it's so CUTE! :love:

It does pretty well in my terra as you can see. I flood its undrained pot, it seems to like that. Although I hear you to have to repot terrestrial Utrics oftenly.

interesting. May I ask what soil mix you grow it in?

interesting. May I ask what soil mix you grow it in?

You have to repot them often, because supposedly, they take up all the nutrients in the soil and die out.

When I got them, they had a clump of the vendor's media which looked like peat. All i did was put the clumps in some plain dead LFS.

You have to repot them often, because supposedly, they take up all the nutrients in the soil and die out.

When I got them, they had a clump of the vendor's media which looked like peat. All i did was put the clumps in some plain dead LFS.

I had a pot of U. sandersonii in a pot of peat : perlite 1:1, and it grew a thick lush matt, then the center started to die and it spread out to the edge.

I have a pot of U. sandersonii, undrained, in LFS 100%, it was slow to take over, but it seems to be growing fine now. I flood occasionally with pond water to fertilize.

Hope this helps!
CJ

Hmmm, according to Professor Wikipedia, this is a lithophytic species (it grows on rocks). Makes sense that repotting it into fresh soil helps it grow, since it would have nutrients constantly brought to it by streams nearby in its habitat...

So is this an easy utric?

One of the easiest when it comes to counting flowers, I think.

I keep mine in pure peat in a terrarium at room temperature of 20°C, the pots standing in 1-2 cm water:
U_blanchetii6.jpg

But the flowers never produce any seeds.

I used to have a beautiful blanchetii but black mold got the best of it one winter and it died :(

DSCN0654.resized.JPG

DSCN0660.resized.JPG

I used to have a beautiful blanchetii but black mold got the best of it one winter and it died :(

When I look at the flowers it seems to me, as if there are several different location forms of U. blanchetii in circulation.

When I look at the flowers it seems to me, as if there are several different location forms of U. blanchetii in circulation.

U. blanchetti and U. parthoenopipes are believed to have produced several natural hybrids. Add to that the normal variation in locations and you get the mess that is U. blanchetti and parthenopipes I'ding. There are somee posts around if you look for them talking about this. Very very very generally speaking the larger flower forms are probably closer to U. blanchetti and the tiny flower forms are likely closer to U. parthenopipes.

If you have a larger flower form of U. blanchetti and a smaller form of U. parthenopipes both flowering next to each other its easy to tell the two part, there flowers are not similiar, but get into the middle and ???. :poke: :crazy:

Back