What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the red coats are coming! the red coats are coming!

U. menziesii ---i've wanted this plant for a super long time...
i was able to procure tubers back in november. left them in their baggies, then planted them the last week of march. when april came, i placed the pots in an small organizer tray frilled with a cm of water....and left it alone. checked on it today, and found this:

menziesii-03.jpg
menziesii-02.jpg
menziesii-01.jpg

will update as the plant progresses and hopefully flowers.

Cheers!
Amphirion

Oooh that one looks nice! Does it have to go dormant in the winter, or why did you have to hide away the tubers?

@thez: yes, very similar to tuberous drosera...they have a wet and dry cycle. when dry, they reduce themselves into tiny tubers.

Awesome! I always wanted to get this species too, hope they'll flower!

Peter

Just noticed that plants in one of my pots have broken the surface today too. I will be interested to see how yours cope growing through summer.

Best of luck to you, these guys can be truly brutal on even the best of us growers. And the real kick in the teeth is when you get them through three seasons and have flowers coming up and then the damn slugs discover them...

Just noticed that plants in one of my pots have broken the surface today too. I will be interested to see how yours cope growing through summer.

hahaha...yes. i am dreading this too. for the most part i will be growing them under fluorescent lighting, indoors, away from a windowsill, so room temps will be much kinder to them. many of my HL plants fuss a little bit during the summer, but summer heat is greatly mitigated by the San Francisco Bay as well as the Pacific ocean so it's not as harsh as most other places.

so far so good. the last set of tubers finally emerges from the soil.
WP_000111.jpg
WP_000119.jpg

the progression is noticable...if anything, at least im getting a kick. :-D
DSCN4061.jpg
DSCN4060.jpg

beautiful how did you find those

Awesome! I've never seen a Utric flower quite like that.

any updates on these?

@adam: well, they've got till the end of the month to flower...im guessing these arent mature specimens...just leaves and more leaves, but nothing else to look at. maybe next year....

You'll know very early if they are going to flower- usually about a month after the leaves emerge (usually August/September down here so March or April for you once they acclimatise). They can be very difficult to induce flowers. Some forms flower readily while others rarely flower. I've got one form that flowered the first year I got it back in 1993 but has refused to flower since.

wow. thanks for that tidbit Seandew. may i ask about your cultivation tips, since obviously, you've had them for much longer than i?

Exactly the same conditions as my tuberous Drosera.

The leaves emerge when the early growing tuberous Drosera species also emerge. You'll normally notice the flower bud not long after- a reddish swelling amidst the leaves. If you don't see this swelling early, it isn't going to flower that year. I didn't get a single flower on any of mine this year.

I grow them in a 2 parts sand to 1 part peat mix. They sit in a water tray with about an inch of water, often more as they like it quite wet. In the wild they grow in seepy areas that are sopping wet in winter/spring but bone dry in late spring through summer.

When they die back in cultivation I let the pot dry out completely and keep in a cool spot. In the first month of autumn/fall I rewet and away they go. I grow them in my glasshouse where temps range between 0 deg C (32F) to 20 deg C (60F) for most of the growing period- obviously a bit warmer as the warmer spring days arrive.

(I should also clarify something in my previous post. I meant to say that the plants will flower in August/September, not that the leaves will emerge then.)

Back