What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

frustration from U. humboltii

I've had my U. humboltii for three weeks and I see no signs of life which is very frustating. My reni that I received just days befor has new leaves (although small) since I got it. Both plants are in an east facing window with added light by way of a cfl. The humbolt is growing in an undrained bowl in lfs and a top layer of living sm. I know they are slow growers, Am I just being to impatient? Thanks, Jack

@jack: the problem with humboldtii is that there are way too many clones in cultivation---just from my time at Roraima, i observed 3 different populations growing differently, from terrestrial in mud to epiphytically in bromeliads...that being said, im betting clones in cultivation have very similar preferences. what might work for one humboldtii clone might not necessarily work for another---certain clones are THAT picky. what could help is tracing back who owned what and asking how they grew it...

on another note, i would ditch the dead sphagnum, and grow humboldtii in complete live LFS. i would also add drainage to the bowl, either by filling the bottom with orchid bark or styrofoam, or grow it in live LFS inside a net pot normally used for aquarium pond plant.

I love U. humboltii. Here is a thread of mine from several years ago with some periodic updates and a good discussion about it's growth. I haven't reread the thread but Andrew (and I think others) gave me some tips and I think I switched growth methods/substrate and saw a difference. Have a read and see if it might help.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111086

xvart.

OK I changed my set up. I have lava rock on the bottem for a reservoir, fir bark and lfs soil, and I used what living sm in the center of the bowl where I placed the stolons to grow for now. I'm also taking it out of the window where temps can get as low as high 40's to an area where it will stay warmer for now. I'm also going to keep it dryer like I keep my reni. Jack

@jack: the problem with humboldtii is that there are way too many clones in cultivation---just from my time at Roraima, i observed 3 different populations growing differently, from terrestrial in mud to epiphytically in bromeliads...that being said, im betting clones in cultivation have very similar preferences. what might work for one humboldtii clone might not necessarily work for another---certain clones are THAT picky. what could help is tracing back who owned what and asking how they grew it...

yep.....i have two different clones that have very different preferences....one is grown in LFS and orchid bark in an airy mix, one is grown in a dense, heavy mix with peat and APS....

Back