What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New questions regarding lg leaved Utrics

I have been researching everything I can about large leaved Utrics since acquiring some but so much information is contradictory. No one may be able to answer these questions but hopefully it can get people to research their own plants.
How does an underground stolon know what size pot it’s in? Unless genetically it has to grow in a straight line for a certain distance to flower shouldn’t a stolon just grow around the pot until it reaches maturity?
Is there a size a stolon has to be before it can flower? Maybe a certain diameter or length?
U. reni hates wet feet but if you keep it in a tall pot shouldn’t the stolons grow until it’s to wet then turn and grow towards better conditions?
Thanks for looking, Jack

i believe rattler has put his opinion concerning reniformis here: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125223&page=9

i am in agreement with him for two reasons:
1) reniformis was part of the Irupea section, which included humboldtii and nephrophylla amongst others...
2) humboldtii and nephrophylla grew in a plethora of conditions, but those conditions were clone specific ie: grow a terrestrial humboldtii clone in a bromeliad pitcher or in LFS will result in death....even though humboldtii in general can be found in all 3 conditions...

... ie: grow a terrestrial humboldtii clone in a bromeliad pitcher or in LFS will result in death....even though humboldtii in general can be found in all 3 conditions...
Just curious whether this statement is repeating common opinion or whether you're aware of people who have had this experience (or done some testing)?

I've read about the large humbo clone that seems to prefer wet peat (iirc) and some others who have shared opinions but haven't seen people try to grow a clone from a bromeliad in moist live LFS & have it croak. I wonder whether the clones are that intolerant in reality... :scratch:
I have been researching everything I can about large leaved Utrics since acquiring some ...
What species are you considering 'large leaf'? All of section Orchidioides or a smaller subset (like U. reniformis, U. humboldtii, U. nelumbifolia & possibly U. alpina) or include some from section foliosa (like longifolia) or ...? :scratch:

do believe Pyro was having issues growing the large, peat loving humboldtii clone in LFS.....didnt result in its death but i believe it did decline and show a marked preference for the heavier peat....he would have to confirm though as im going off my memory of a conversation that prolly happened a year ago...

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

btw if yah chat with me much i often refer to the Orchidioides and Iperua aswell as longifolia as "macro Utrics" as a group mainly cause they are what im interested in....dont mean to lump them together as requiring the same care or any of that as i do see differences in preferences even among different clones of the same species.....

I will go with rattlers def. of macro Utrics, although U. reniformis and U. humboltii is what I grow. But no one is even discussing my questions.

Just curious whether this statement is repeating common opinion or whether you're aware of people who have had this experience (or done some testing)?

@ron: no worries---im referring to in-situ plants... the clones we have in circulation had to come from somewhere. right? also im referring to the case of Philcula's humboldtii clone. but again, you are correct in pointing out that i havent done any testing....:blush: just basing off inference...

I will go with rattlers def. of macro Utrics, although U. reniformis and U. humboltii is what I grow. But no one is even discussing my questions.

sorry, got side tracked.....reni stollons can get quite thick compared to other Utrics......ive seen mine get them almost 1/3 of an inch in diameter, know other growers have occasionally unpotted theirs to find "carrots".....so for the larger clones a bigger pot is usually better than a smaller one....

on the wet feet thing, you discribed how i grow these types of utrics.....i grow them in taller pots in a tray and cut holes in the sides of the pots and let the utric pic the moisture level it wants and use an airy mix for a medium....

Back