What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia reniformis seed germination in water.

I received some Utricularia reniformis seeds and I decided to try the water germination method, similar to what I have seen elsewhere on the forum.

I placed some deionised water and the seeds in a container:
SS852882.JPG

After five hours the green embryos had started to expand:
SS852889.JPG

SS852888.JPG

Twenty hours later some of them had started to open out:
SS852893.JPG

SS852900.JPG

Just over a day later, at 48 hours, most had opened:
SS852903.JPG

SS852912.JPG

At this point I transferred the seeds to an open medium, by simply pouring them, together with the water, onto the surface. Hopefully they will grow and I will be able to update this topic with the progress.

Very nice, though they look like spiders which kind of gives me the chills haha.

Cool, I thought they look like little green octopi.

To get the seed were genetically different clones crossed?

I had no idea Utric seeds sprouted so fast. To me they look a bit like a star nosed mole. :p

Star-nosed_mole.jpg
SS852900.JPG

Wow!

Mobile,
Thanks for sharing these pics (yeah - I know this is older thread but I apparently just skimmed it 1st time around).

- any update pics?
- you didn't by any chance take seed pics on 1mm grid paper - did you? I previously 'assumed' that U. reniformis seed would look more like U. alpina & other Orchidioides. From your pics, it looks much more similar to U. nelumbifolia in size & germination characteristics (duh - makes sense since they are both Iperua).

For rough comparison, here's a pic of some U. asplundii seed on a 1mm grid:
Uasplundiiseeds072711RS.jpg

hey cool im a noob at all this but i find you can also use super thrive in your r.o. water float them and they do great even the mature plants seem to have no issues now whether or not super thrive helps them not completely sure but i use it for other plants i grow that are not cps i even mix it with the dried blood worms and water and my dews dont seem to mind

Looks more like a hydra

hydra-3191.jpg

Back