What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. gibba ???

• Thread starter mass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    gibba
IMG_6103.jpg

Sure looks like it!

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

For comparison:

Picture030-1.jpg

Picture034-1.jpg

Picture033-1.jpg

Picture032-1.jpg

Picture001-31.jpg

Awesome.. thanks!

I've yet to see flowers on mine, maybe later this year when the water is warmer, I read that it usually takes water temps around 80 to induce flowering and mine sitting at 76 - my water has h2o2 in it that keeps algae at bay and makes the water itself more viscous than normal. The gibba loves it, it grows like crazy. I use peat and barley extract on the water and the h2o2 is a side effect. This year there's more than gibba in there, I have some pygmy dews growing on the water's surface and on a clump of gibba, some gemmae must've gotten in the tank last fall.

Here's the first to bloom this year:

002-5.jpg

Last edited:
@ JB

HMMM, interesting, with the barley extract and peat for the aquatic Utric's. I am using peat and timothy hay now. Would you care to share your method?

I got some U. gibba from members of my aquatic plant club three years ago. It was growing as a weed in their tanks. I tried to keep it in a pot outdoors here in NJ and was not successful. I did take some photo's of the bladders under the microscope at work. I still want to try to grow this plant, but have not gotten any more of it.

Here's a bladder with an air bubble inside. The scale divisions are (I forget and need to check-either 0.010", or 1/64", or 0.01 mm )

UtriculariagibbaAirbubbleinsideLarg.jpg

Nice picture of the bladder! If'n you want more, i'd be happy to send you a few pounds worth.

Back