Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some ID help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need some ID help

I bought an order of utricularias and many stowaways came along in each of the different plugs that arrived. I need some help with identification now if possible, and to find out how I can separate them or if there's nothing I can do.

Longifolia came with this unknown which has recently started to sprout. Is there a way I can separate them or do I just have to leave them together? It hasn't flowered so I don't know what it is.

Livida has two different types of leaves growing in it. Is this normal or are there two different species in here also?

Dichotoma has the same problem.

Blanchetti also has the same problem. Is the same we need a stowaway and all the different plugs? And is there a way I can get rid of it? The flower the surprisingly similar to livida. Is it possible that there was a mixup and I received two different quantities of livida?

Bisqmata: I'm not even sure it's there. Instead a whole bunch of stowaway sundews showed up.

If there is no way for me to separate commingled species, can I wait for them to flower and trying harvest the seed and plant it somewhere else? I'm not sure how to plant seeds though.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am quite unimpressed with this nursery or whoever you got those from!

It looks like those long slender leaves that you see everywhere are U. graminifolia, but I'm not totally certain. Either way it is a very vigorous Utricularia and it appears to have consumed this collection. You could try separating it? It seems like it would be very difficult though.

If you paid money for these, I would ask for a replacement that does not have weeds all over it.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha! I've all but given away the name of the Nursery. You can see it in the label tags in some of my photos.
    I've heard everything they ship comes with subulata.

If I try to dig it all up, how do I tell the difference between subulata and say livida or blanchetii so that I know what to keep and what to discard?

I doubt they'd entertain replacements. They ignored me once money was paid for a previous order that arrived 80% dead. But I dont know where else to buy utrics so I had to go to them.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Judging by the shape and size of leave plus the flowers that weed in all your pots looks to me like U. blanchetii. Sabulta will have either yellow flowers or the type of flowers that don't even open (forget the proper name). You might have that in there as well.
    The pot that you identify as U. blanchetii has either livida or meriwak in it as well.
    U. graminifolia has larger foliage, grows more densely and has different flowers. It is so vigorous that it will take over the pots and choke everything else even carpet moss.

Ones the utrics start to flower pull out the flower stalks (they will come away with some stolon mass and leaves) and plant them in LFS just under the surface. This way you will establish separate colonies.

P.S. Looking at this makes me realize that I should separate all my utric pots with tall enclosures to prevent such cross infestation
    Last edited by gill_za; 12-04-2011 at 04:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm so whats flowering now in both pots is actually the blanchetti and not livida?

I thought livida was flowering. I had another stowaway flower previously but the flower was really really tiny, almost like the size of one of the two square gaps on the USB cable connector head.

If I pull out the livida leaves will the stolons follow if I want to save it?

I also have a longifolia and reniformis invaded by this weed. I guess I should just dig those up and tease away all media and stowaway if I can?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b.t. View Post
    I also have a longifolia and reniformis invaded by this weed. I guess I should just dig those up and tease away all media and stowaway if I can?
    In general, you can propagate from leaves or flower stalks fairly easily (or clean stolons - if you can get a clean piece) - although you've obviously got to be patient.

You'll never get the invaders away from U. longifolia underground growth (imho). Use a leaf or a tiny segment of plant to start new pots - it doesn't take much. Do several, so at least one will succeed and not be contaminated.

U. reniformis has a really thick underground stolon so you may be able to get a decent piece of the plant without invaders. Again - try several pieces to eventually get one good one.

Your experience is why I tell newbie utric grows to purge their collections of U. subulata & U. bisquamata (weedy form). Once those things get into more than one pot, it's a nightmare to get them out of your collection. Also, even though your obvious invaders do not appear to be either of those species, don't be surprised if there are small colonies of them in some of your pots. When a nursery has such horrible practices as the one from where you purchesed these plants, anything is possible...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow what an epic mess. I feel sorry for you.
    Formerly known as WaterKirby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback.
    I'll start with longifolia and reniformis rescues first. Whats flowering in all my pics? Is it blanchetii? I'm sorta inclined to keep whatever is flowering and discard the ones that arent since my conditions dont seem favorable to them.
    Or is Livida flowering in these pics?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast