What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. sandersonii

Was wondering if anyone knows if this is normal growth for sandersonii. Doesn't seem to be producing normal leaves. Those slender, off colored looking leaves. At first I thought it was due to an infestation of fungus gnats (larvae). Put some mosquito dunks and I didn't see any after that and still it didn't grow. Here's a pic that I took through the eyepiece of a dissecting scope. Any info will be much appreciated. Thanks.

http://s960.photobucket.com/albums/ae90/sdav834/sandersonii/?action=view&current=IMG_3208.jpg

looks like your starter of sandersonii was contaminated with U. subulata or U. bisqumata ..... Might be hard to say until it flowers.

Really ? I guess that never entered my mind. Guess I'll separate the two and try to keep it pure. Thanks Kula.

Guess I'll separate the two and try to keep it pure.
May be more effort than it's worth. If you have a friend with a clean culture, I'd recommend getting a piece.

Or, Mach once mentioned to me that you can take a flower stalk from the one you actually want and use that to start a new, pure culture. Never asked him about details or looked into it further, but some people around here might have input regarding that method. I guess, too, you could probably just wait for seed from U. sandersonii. I don't know anything about the seeding behaviors of Utrics in general, aside from U. bisquamata which is impossible to keep in one pot if you let it get to seed, lol.

^^ I think it was that if you pull the stalk out then it would pull up the plant it is attached to which you can then repot

Or, Mach once mentioned to me that you can take a flower stalk from the one you actually want and use that to start a new, pure culture. Never asked him about details or looked into it further, but some people around here might have input regarding that method.
A flower stalk with or without a small chunk of plant on the bottom will work - just stick it in new media. You don't want much plant clinging to the end or you could bring some of the invader with it.
I guess, too, you could probably just wait for seed from U. sandersonii.
Not likely. Bunny ears don't self seed and I couldn't even get it to make seed when I tried ...
I don't know anything about the seeding behaviors of Utrics in general, aside from U. bisquamata which is impossible to keep in one pot if you let it get to seed, lol.
U. subulata or small form of U. bisquamata should be eliminated from a collection as soon as it is found. If not, it will find it's way into every pot you own ... :0o:

Or, Mach once mentioned to me that you can take a flower stalk from the one you actually want and use that to start a new, pure culture. Never asked him about details or looked into it further, but some people around here might have input regarding that method. I guess, too, you could probably just wait for seed from U. sandersonii. I don't know anything about the seeding behaviors of Utrics in general, aside from U. bisquamata which is impossible to keep in one pot if you let it get to seed, lol.

i always have success from replanting flower stalks of easy to grow utricularia species. takes a while to propigate, but it ALWAYS takes. even seemingly dead stalks.

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

U. subulata or small form of U. bisquamata should be eliminated from a collection as soon as it is found. If not, it will find it's way into every pot you own ... :0o:

as a reminder there are clones of utriculari bisquamata (large flower) that are not only more beautiful, do NOT spread like weeds.

Back