What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The sun was out today.. finally! So got a few pics of some other things in flower.
U. blanchetii pink flower
Ublanchetii_pinkCR.jpg

U. fulva (yay it's fulva time!)
Ufulva2CR.jpg

Couple Genlisia
Er sad they don't look anything like the photos posted over at cpuk from the wild
Anyway.. Guess this is supposed to be G. metalica what was formally Itacambria Beauty
GenlisiaItBeaut1CR.jpg

and this is what was formally sp. Cipo something something.. which I guess is now G. oligophylla. This one looks even less like the wild plant photo so who knows...It does have the little glandular hairs all the way around the edge of the flower parts which I thought was really neat.
GenlisiaCipoCR.jpg

Enjoy!

Oooh pretty flowers!

Can you show / describe how you're growing the U. fulva? Soil media, flood / "dry" schedule, anything else we need to know? I love the blooms and have it growing but it never blooms...:(

stunning flower on that Fulva to say the least.
Another one for my "spring buy list".:-O

Oh, hello fulva. Me likey.

Can you show / describe how you're growing the U. fulva? Soil media, flood / "dry" schedule, anything else we need to know? I love the blooms and have it growing but it never blooms...:(

I keep it wet all the time.. water almost to the soil level. Peaty sand mix, more peat than sand. This plant comes from the northern territories and grows/blooms in the wet season like the tuberous dews. In nature if I remember my research from Taylor correctly it grows as an annual, but you can keep it alive all year if you don't let it dry out.
As such I am guessing you will need to give it short daylengths to see flowers. That's the only thing that really changes for this plant in my care and it flowers each Winter. (although it is a month later this year than the last time it flowered)

How have you been keeping it and how has it been doing?

I'm not sure how many years I've had it, maybe 2-3? For the first year or so I kept it in waterlogged - flooded LFS and it did fine then I moved it to peat & kitty litter mud sort of mixture kept waterlogged or flooded and it's really doing about the same there for the past year or so it spreads and grows but never makes blooms. I never remember to mess with the lighting hours so that may be it...

What temps does yours experience? Mine are just normal indoor ambient temps + light heat so basically 75-85*F days and 70-75*F nights. Perhaps it should go in the HL Nep chamber in winter to cool down some?

I can't wait for my Genlisea to flower. They look really unique

Lovely flowers ya got there!

xmasCreche.gif

I'm not sure how many years I've had it, maybe 2-3? For the first year or so I kept it in waterlogged - flooded LFS and it did fine then I moved it to peat & kitty litter mud sort of mixture kept waterlogged or flooded and it's really doing about the same there for the past year or so it spreads and grows but never makes blooms. I never remember to mess with the lighting hours so that may be it...

What temps does yours experience? Mine are just normal indoor ambient temps + light heat so basically 75-85*F days and 70-75*F nights. Perhaps it should go in the HL Nep chamber in winter to cool down some?

A little cooler this time of year but still around 80 day 60 night.
How many hours of light do you give it? It's been a few weeks since the scapes started to poke up so that would be around 10 hours of light?

12 hours on at 1:30 pm off at 1:30 am. It would be nice if they sold a lighting timer that could be set to increase and decrease with the seasons...

gahhhh fulva flowers! I love me some fulva! lol great pics!

12 hours on at 1:30 pm off at 1:30 am. It would be nice if they sold a lighting timer that could be set to increase and decrease with the seasons...

Hmm well you got me.. maybe it needs less than 12? Right now actual daylength is hmm 9hours.
My only other thought was that perhaps they are getting light cues from other light sources that is blocking a short day cycle? I know some plants are quite sensitive to even the slightest bit of light interrupting a short day cycle and .. no blooms. So room light or a ray of sunlight etc can mess them up.

I had these guys bloom for me last year in march.

DSC_00110002_1.jpg

Kept the flooded and housed with the petiolaris group drosera. Hot, humid...

I think I have the lights set so that they will go off at a time that it is less than my shortest days. That way as we get to summer light from the outside gives me longer days and come winter I still get relatively short days... So maybe three hours difference between longest and shortest days.

whoa.. what's that? Looks like a bunny wabbit.

Nice Mach! Got it to flower totally under lights? Maybe you can help Swords out better than I on how you are growing it to bloom.

Few more things..
So apparently G. violacea are really flexuosa which makes this one now
G. lobata x flexuosa
(sorry slightly out of focus)
GenlisialobataXflexuosa.jpg

and this is now G. flexuosa..
Genlisiaflexuosa.jpg

Not enough people show roots. :C

I was wondering if you would notice the picture.

Yea, the traps. Cause mine won't flower and it won't make traps. :c

I guess this is now G. flexuosa "Giant"

DSC_00040001_15.jpg

Back