What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I be worried?

pappydew

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me.
I'm quite new to Utrics so forgive me if this is a stupid question...

So I have all of mine in separate pots but in fairly close quarters. I'm just wondering if Utrics are known to "self" (is that even the correct term?) and invade the other pots. A couple have already started flowering. Should I be worried about them possibly mixing?

I think my grow list is updated so check that for exact species.

Yea, kinda move them away. Those seeds will easily fall into the pot last time i checked.

My Utrics seed themselves everywhere. They're kind of pleasant pests though.

I wouldn't mind them in other pots, more that I don't want them growing in each others pots...I'd like to make sure I know which species is which LOL

As soon as the flower dies back remove it. That's the safest thing to do.

I haven't looked at your list so not sure which species you have and what's flowering but as a general rule you should try to keep them separate. Some Utricularia species can become invasive and while it may not be a big deal in your Sarracenia it is a big deal for other Utricularia, which can become choked out and possibly killed off in the long run. Not to mention if you want to trade plants it is best to know clearly what is being sent to the recipient. The idea to just remove flowers after they bloom is a good one if you can keep up with it. Utric pods mature quite quickly though so be aware of that. Many don't produce seed on their own but a few do.

The only other advice I would give is to keep the pots separated also. If they are all in the same tray or close to each other they might migrate from pot to pot through drainage holes or simply crawl over the tops from pot to pot with their little stolon growth..

I would just like to 2nd the excellent advice from Tony. Keep them separate - having a pot w/ several species is a pain to undo the mess (lots of time & effort) - much easier to keep them pure.

On your list, the only one that might be a problem w/ self-seeding is U. welwitschii afaik (although I don't know anything about U. gibba) - at least I haven't had an issue with the species self-seeding (although wandering into other pots - both top & bottom - absolutely).

Enjoy growing them - you've got a nice, diverse collection which should give you many beautiful flowers>

Thanks for the advice everyone! Each species is in separate pots, but all in the same tray. A couple have already started to flower which is why I was concerned.

I did get these in a giveaway here so I do plan on passing some on...wouldn't want them to get all mixed up.

Back