What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. nelumbifolia Growing Tips

Yall are waay overthinking it... you don't need live moss although it helps. Live or dead sphagnum is definately a good choice though.

Don't need net pots and a nighttime temp drop isn't as vital as it is for highland neps or helis, although it certainly helps. I've grown mine at cool room tbs (65F) for several years now in a yogurt container with holes punched out the bottom.

Yall are waay overthinking it... you don't need live moss although it helps. Live or dead sphagnum is definately a good choice though.

Don't need net pots and a nighttime temp drop isn't as vital as it is for highland neps or helis, although it certainly helps. I've grown mine at cool room tbs (65F) for several years now in a yogurt container with holes punched out the bottom.
do you keep the feet wet?

Hi!
I need advice.
I have only few tiny pieces of this plant. So, what can you recommend to do with them? Now they are in jar with water and, I think, have grown a bit.
5f5bba01f01f.jpg

P.S. The jar is between two CFL, it's to light for them?
Thanks!

put them on live sphagnum, cover lightly with several strands and keep moist?
Would that work?

that should do fine, I have mine in wet LFS only

When plants become bigger I'll pot them in sphagnum too. Main reason keeping in pure water is my fear of mould — they are still tiny (instead of humboldtii)
Untitled-2.jpg

left - 25 May, right - 7 June
There is also some interesting purple things
DSC_01781.jpg

Any idea what it could be?

looks like the purple may be the traps forming on the roots....mine are green though.?

Hi again!
Yes, purple things are traps. Now it is obvious.
How do you think buying of nelumbifolia seeds in e-shop is waste of money or it can be successful?
Thanks
Sincerely,
Oleksii

How do you think buying of nelumbifolia seeds in e-shop is waste of money or it can be successful?
Over here you can see Barry's pics of some U. humboldtii seeds germinating (very cool). U. nelumbifolia seeds are very similar. While the seeds of most utrics have a relatively short life, U. nelumbifolia & U. humboldtii are very short.

Ebay seed sellers are mostly useless with only a few reputable folks. Unless you know from other buyers that a seller is good, it is 80-95% likely that you are wasting your money. With the two species above, it is 100%.

Here's a good thread on eBay sellers.

Back