Thread: U. reniformis Setup Good?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

U. reniformis Setup Good?

Hello everyone!
    I have recently gotten a reniformis.
    I have it potted in a 14" net pot with a mix of LFS, orchid bark, and perlite.

I'm keeping it drier as it gets established, as per a recommendation in a really old CPN article.
    Can it be kept like this successfully long term?

Do you have any other comments on my setup?
    Thanks everyone!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it depends on what you consider long term...problem with LFS and bark is that they tend to break down which leads to compaction--the one thing these utrics hate. would be better if you used live sphagnum instead. the live sphag will continue to grow, preventing compaction.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have recently gotten a reniformis.
    Do you know what 'size' it is ---- the diameter of the leaves when mature?
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I don't know which one it is.
    I would have used live sphagnum if I had more than the 3 strands it came packed in.
    Thanks for the info about compaction!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow several clones of both the larger & the smaller sizes. While they all grow well, the smaller versions are virtually bombproof and very vigorous. The larger size is somewhat more picky (however, Bob Z. has a large-form rennie that blooms all summer for him).

The larger pot is probably a good idea but monitor it for going anaerobic (as Amp warns). When I first started to grow this species, I did multiple media tests - for me, they grew best in peat-based mixes (which is opposite what I found with all of the true Orchidioides). I'll probably try to use a very coarse Nep media with some peat in it next time I do some repotting - ideally in a large pot. Based on the people who have had (& haven't had) success flowering these guys - I'm inclined to believe that both seasonal photoperiod & temperature variation may be important (& possibly a winter drying-out period).

So far, I've only had one clone flower for me - one of the weedier small forms - several months ago.

This field trip thread is one I found very interesting (besides all the great pics). In it, the author noted:
    There were two forms of Utricularia reniformis there. One with small leaves, that was usually found in shady locations, growing as a reophitic in river margins, and other with big leaves growing in grassy swamps or partialy shaded swampy florest margins.
    This was the first (& only) time I've come across comments about different habitats for the two types.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the larger reneformis 'Big Sister' clone from BobZ. Growing it as he recommended, in a sandy peat.

It's the pot in the back by the droso. Can't see anything other than leaves though.. sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
    Hello everyone!
    I have it potted in a 14" net pot with a mix of LFS, orchid bark, and perlite.
    That's similar to my setup - I used dried NZ Sphagnum moss/orchid bark/perlite mix in a mesh pot. I find that the plant prefers to grow from the bottom of the mesh pot, rather than the top. I think this is because it prefers the wetter conditions due to the pot sitting in a saucer of water. You can see in the picture below that the bigger leaves are those coming from the bottom of the pot. Mine really slowed down a few months ago and I thought I was going to lose it, with the leaves getting smaller and less of them but then I fed it with plant food and it has put on a growth spurt.

Last edited by mobile; 01-03-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast