Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting potential growing medium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    phrag bessae!? let me know how that goes for you....if it does, im gonna have to grow a bessae for myself!
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Very cool - I didn't notice slabs on their product page (which I found odd), all I noticed was the fabric. How thick are the slabs? Can you PM me your source?
    Ron, PM sent. The slabs are right around 1" thick.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
    That's neat! Certainly beats the rock wool I've been eyeballing out back.
    I've never used rock wool, but doesn't that build up salts if you aren't careful? I think I read that somewhere a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    phrag bessae!? let me know how that goes for you....if it does, im gonna have to grow a bessae for myself!
    Amp, the besseae has already bloomed for me in semi-hydro, so it's not necessarily a difficult plant to grow. The OZ crosses are much nicer and have been line bred to be easier. In their native habitat, they grow on vertical limestone cliffs near seepages. I'm trying to replicate that with these slabs along with better accommodating their stoloniferous growth habit.

Also, here is some good reading on various ways to use this material along with some pretty nice pictures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link on uses for Hygrolon - reading how the guy has set up his cabinet and also used Hygrolon in orchid pots - very interesting.

I just received 2 Hygrolon-covered slabs from the US supplier. One is Hygrolon over Epiweb (interesting since I've never handled either material) and the other is their half-round slab - which is Hygrolon over closed-cell foam pipe insulation.

After digging around a while, I was able to locate a small cluster of semi-loose U. campbelliana tubers. I mounted the cluster on the Hygrolon/Epiweb slab and also seeded the fabric with pieces of moss from the original slab (this seeding worked well on a tree fern slab). This is the 1st time I've tried to relocate tubers that didn't have active leaves growing - hope it works.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE...

It's been about a month into my Hygrolon experiment, and I don't have much to report...at least nothing picture worthy. I removed one of the Lepanthes from that original slab and added a few species in its place. All of the minis mounted to the slab have at least one new growth except for one plant. It looks like moss is starting to slowly expand across the surface.

The Phrag. besseae is showing a nub of some sort. I'm hoping it's roots, but a new growth would be nice too. Either way, there is some growth on a plant that was pretty weak when I mounted it.

All of the plants on these slabs are watered only from the wicking action of the material and some incidental watering from misting the rest of the tank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been several months, any updates? Wondering if this would be a suitable medium for nepenthes?
    -Arthur

Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dueoka View Post
    It's been several months, any updates? Wondering if this would be a suitable medium for nepenthes?
    I've been playing around with ideas for an all inorganic potting media (vs the epiphytic slab approach). I'm leaning toward Hygrolon slices, chopped Ecoweb pieces & perlite (although this may change). When/if some of my Nep cuttings root - I may start to play or I'll just place some spare Orchidioides divisions in some & see how they grow...

As an epiphytic medium, the reviews are mixed. Goods just reported in the Orchidioides thread that the approach rotted an orchid (discussion ongoing). Otoh, my U. jamesoniana has gone to heaven & is growing like a weed on a slab.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm about to try a 50/50 mix of Turface MVP and perlite. It works with Nepenthes, so it should work with Utrics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm growing utrics and orchids on both epiweb and hygrolon and have had fantastic results so far! I'll post up some photos tomorrow when I have time. I'd be really interested in using it as a medium for nepenthes, although since it's not as beneficial for the root structure (as far as actually growing through the foam) you might be able to just use something like aquarium filter sponges, given how expensive epiweb/hygrolon is. I think using hygrolon as a wicking material would be a great thing to play around with though. It's ability to wick water super consistently to provide the perfect moist surface is impressive to say the least.
    Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast