Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting potential growing medium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting potential growing medium

I've become fascinated with epiphytic Utrics in the short period of time I've been here. Coming from an orchid background, I find them to be quite similar: big flowers, epiphytic in nature, etc. I've been through many threads where they've been tried on TF, cork with moss, or net pots in LFS with fairly successful results.

I also very recently found a U.S.-based vendor for Hygrolon, a fabric-like material that wicks water while providing an airy environment. It doesn't break down over time like organic medias and is more sustainable than tree fern. I think I'm going to try a piece with some orchids and see the results. I'll post as I go, once I get it going.

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting ... had not heard of this product before. I will be interested to hear of your results.
    "Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting. I might give this a try, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Placed my order tonight! I'll follow up with pictures when it comes in, and I get some things mounted to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goods View Post
    Placed my order tonight! I'll follow up with pictures when it comes in, and I get some things mounted to it.
    I'll be interested to hear what you think. I wonder how well it would do with several squares together to form a thicker plaque (imitate treefern)? Here's a product page. I need to order some potting media & plaques (of something) fairly soon ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    I'll be interested to hear what you think. I wonder how well it would do with several squares together to form a thicker plaque (imitate treefern)? Here's a product page. I need to order some potting media & plaques (of something) fairly soon ...
    My order came in today! I ordered two medium Hygrolon/Epiweb slabs. This material has been designed to imitate tree fern as a way to phase out that growing medium since it is usually harvested so unsustainably. I ran a quick wicking test on mine just to see how quickly this material would take on water. I placed one slab in a small glass with an inch or so of water. Within 10 minutes, the moisture had travelled all the way to the top of the 8" slab. The extreme hydrophilic nature of this material definitely impressed me. I disliked straight Epiweb because it was entirely too dry for my uses. Now that there is a combination, I'm liking the initial results (moisture loving material on the surface with airy Epiweb on the back).

I took one of my slabs and mounted some divisions of orchids that weren't growing well in their current media and on the other, a Phrag. besseae. I also added a few pinches of live moss to get it started growing. All of the growers in Europe, who have had access to this material for much longer than we have, report great root growth. These plants need some more roots, so I figured I'd give them a try as a good test.

I think that's all I can say about it for now. Here are some pictures of the material after unboxing and then after mounting. I'm going to add a couple more plants and then let it grow. I'll continue to update with pictures hopefully weekly or as things progress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool - I didn't notice slabs on their product page (which I found odd), all I noticed was the fabric. How thick are the slabs? Can you PM me your source?
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's neat! Certainly beats the rock wool I've been eyeballing out back.
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast