User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 9 to 16 of 16

Thread: Utricularia reniformis flowering

  1. #9
    does this rag smell like chloroform to you? boxofrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Brookings, Or. USA
    Posts
    523
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May I ask, is that grown indoors under lights?. outdoor greenhouse?
    Thanks for any info.
    Looking forward to seeing the full bloom!
    "the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime"

  2. #10
    Av8tor1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,811
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    indeed. woots. this one has never ever attempted to bloom for me... ever!!!!
    Well this is the first time it has offered to bloom for me as well... woot woot!

    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Hmmm - if it arrived in April of 2009, then it is likely to be a SG plant from a West Coast grower (germinated by another CP buddy). I believe that the seeds were from a selfed 'Big Sister' type of rennie. Siblings to that clone in my less-than-optimal conditions produce leaves ranging from nickel-size to ~3".

    Mine have never entertained the thought of sending up a stalk.

    Enjoy the beautiful flowers ...
    Ron, I went back and found pictures of the plant from summer of 2010, it had a couple leaves the size of silver dollars at that point... I use to give it ferts but havent done that in a long time.... maybe that is the reason for the decrease in leaf size, me dunno

    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    very nice Butch! now, 2 months of waiting....
    ugh.... understood

    Quote Originally Posted by boxofrain View Post
    May I ask, is that grown indoors under lights?. outdoor greenhouse?
    Thanks for any info.
    Looking forward to seeing the full bloom!
    Indoors, under fluorescent lighting, 5000k T8's

  3. #11
    RL7836's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    3,252
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    very nice Butch! now, 2 months of waiting....
    Unless it's really cold, I suspect the time will be measured in weeks from this point (just a swag - but I can guess too)
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

    *** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

  4. #12
    kulamauiman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kula, Maui USA
    Posts
    1,921
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Unless it's really cold, I suspect the time will be measured in weeks from this point (just a swag - but I can guess too)
    43. the answer is 43.... um what was the question now?

    My questions are what sorts of ambient temp fluctuations in the growing areas? I have mine outside and they just exist. never seem to do anything more than just that. Dry dormant period did that happen? I tried to give them that, but welll stuff happens.... I saw them blooming at Peter's Place, and for Bob Z. I have often wondered if I don't get cold enough but it they are blooming at room temp ambient conditions it sort of suggests other wise.

  5. #13
    Av8tor1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,811
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just my 2 cents.... I think its likely dry period.

    Ive been letting mine dry to the point of the sphag being crunchy for the last few months before I water. This is also their natural time to be umm dry (relatively speaking)

    Back about a year ago I posted the climatic data for most of the major Tepuis. Pretty much constant as far as temp, some drop but nothing to speak of... but what was seasonal was their dry season (relatively speaking) that occurs from Oct. through March.

    Additionally, "The genus Utricularia - a taxonomic monograph by Taylor, Peter. (1989)." states that U. reniformis can be observed in-situ flowering from Oct. through March.
    I dont think that is a coincidence.... Realistically, how could pollination occur when youre getting multiple inches of rain per day.... it would seem risky for the plant to expell that much energy any other time of the year.

    My vote is dry spell, maybe even dry spell and a oct. through march time frame.

    But me no utric daddy.... just making assumptions based on hillbilly logic. May be quite a bit of variation within the species too.



    Maybe not the exact location, but I think its still valuable data...

    Only one variable has a dramatic and predictable shift

    Last edited by Av8tor1; 01-15-2013 at 12:09 PM.

  6. #14
    RL7836's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    3,252
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    Just my 2 cents.... I think its likely dry period.

    Ive been letting mine dry to the point of the sphag being crunchy for the last few months before I water. This is also their natural time to be umm dry (relatively speaking)
    So far, the 'dry-thing' hasn't worked for me. I've tried bone-dry (crunchy sphag) and a few levels above that (higher moisture). When I did the bone-dry approach, the plant had a lot of difficulty emerging when I started to water. Lost one pot & had to dig another out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    Back about a year ago I posted the climatic data for most of the major Tepuis. Pretty much constant as far as temp, some drop but nothing to speak of... but what was seasonal was their dry season (relatively speaking) that occurs from Oct. through March.
    Any idea if this dry season around tepui-ville is the same as southeast Brazil. I'm not sure of the U. reniformis range but I believe I've read about observations in Minas Gerais.

    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    Additionally, "The genus Utricularia - a taxonomic monograph by Taylor, Peter. (1989)." states that U. reniformis can be observed in-situ flowering from Oct. through March.
    I dont think that is a coincidence.... Realistically, how could pollination occur when youre getting multiple inches of rain per day.... it would seem risky for the plant to expell that much energy any other time of the year.
    On the flip side, would a plant be able to finish flowering during the time when water is scarce and many others have dried back to tubers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    My vote is dry spell, maybe even dry spell and a oct. through march time frame.
    I agree, dry spell does seem to work for many. However, I wonder if either dry spell or cold weather would work since either would place the plant into a dormant state? I also wonder if photoperiod plays a part?

    Here's the link to another thread on this topic.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

    *** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

  7. #15
    i dont do pots. amphirion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, US
    Posts
    3,498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    caracas is unfortunately nowhere near tepui-ville, your best bet would be somewhere around the ball park of Santa Elena de Uairen-- dont have yearly rainfall schematics, but this current month's is quite interesting: http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/VEXX0034

    take it worth a grain of salt. most orchid utrics live near tepuis, but not all of them...
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

  8. #16
    Av8tor1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,811
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found a pge that shows the averages from your link jon... http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...graph/VEXX0034

    Again temps pretty constant, rainfall has a seasonal variance.

    Ron, I doubt its as simple as just let the plant dry out. If it was it would be standard operating procedure by now for growers.
    I wonder if dry and timing must go together...

    maybe both variables need to be in alignment for the process to begin?
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 01-15-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •