Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Healthy root system?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Healthy root system?

Can anyone tell me if the pictures below shows a healthy root system? Also if not any suggestions to correct the problem would be great. The reniformis seems to be growing great. Nelumbifolia....not so much. Both are growing in orchid pots with a equal mix of peat,sand,bark,lfs using the tray system. I keep these two very wet.

utricularia nelumbifolia

utricularia reniformis
    (I'm assuming this one just needs a bigger pot)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you have some mold on both. Looks like you have healthy roots on the reniormis, but all I see on the nelumbifolia is mold (the white fluffy stuff...Yeah, not roots...). Whether it's causing a problem or not though, is hard to tell. Not all mold causes a problem, but keep a close eye on it, or spray it with sulfur based fungicide. Looks like the reniformis has no problem with it though (so far).
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info.

Could it be that I am keeping them too wet?
    Is there a benefit to using orchid pots?

I will get some spray sometime this weekend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a mold problem to. I over wintered some in the fridge and they all have developed mold. Could you use the baking soda mixture instead? Which one is safe? Your plants look healthy! Let me know if any one answers please! Thanks, Mary

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never heard of using baking soda. The sulfur based fungicides are perfectly safe (at least the ones I'm aware of). I don't think your problem is keeping them too wet. In fact, I've noticed that mold tends to happen more often on moist organic medium compared to wet medium (though, it doesn't look like that's your problem either). Sometimes mold just grows, but that could be a possible disadvantage of net pots in this case, as mold will tend to grow more in the spaces open to the air, which a net orchid pot allows.

I don't grow either of these species myself, but if you want the reniformis to spread more, it will obviously need a bigger pot. Otherwise, I imagine it's perfectly happy in it's pot. The nelumbifolia is far from needing repotting, and I don't think the mold will cause much of an issue for a while to be honest, because the mold will tend just to grow on the outer soil surface, and the underlying soil is perfectly fine.

Hopefully someone with actual experience with these species will offer you some better advice
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That mold may actually be mycellium, almost all my pots using orchid bark grows mushrooms several times a year. I have a new crop now of little brown 'shrooms in my N. thorelii x aristolochioides pot. If I use shredded cypress bark I don't get the 'shrooms but when I use real "orchid bark" is like a 'shroom factory, if only they were magically delicious I probably wouldn't mind so much!

If you wanna get these kinda utrics to "take off" put that net pot on a bed of moist LFS inside the bottom of your terrarium, they'll grow like wildfire once the roots discover that moss base layer.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hold up, those look like root hairs not mold. Is there mold anywhere else on the pot, if not my guess is those white tufts are root hairs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hold up, those look like root hairs not mold. Is there mold anywhere else on the pot, if not my guess is those white tufts are root hairs.
    Utricularia sp. don't grow root hairs, because they don't grow roots The so called roots are actually modified leaves and stems...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast