What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. Alpina dormancy?

Is this u. Alpina going dormant? If it is what should I do? It is also putting out a new leaf though...
SAM_2358_zps055c40fd.jpg

SAM_2359_zps822d7c24.jpg

SAM_2360_zpsbd33294c.jpg

SAM_2363_zpsbce8ed2b.jpg

SAM_2364_zpse8820356.jpg

Thank you guys:)

alpina does not truly grow dormant. it does have a period of slowed growth where leaves are sporadic, and energy is devoted to tubers. however, i dont think this is what's going on... at a quick glance your media seems to be very dense and compact. epiphytic utrics prefer a looser more airy damp media. Live sphagnum in a net pot is a popular method of achieving this.

ok thanks a lot:) So would adding more pumice do the airy trick? I don't have live sphag or lfs:(

pumice does not retain water very well. it can be added to LFS though...

Would a 1 part gubbler orchid fir bark/perlite mix, 1 part pumice, 1 part dead lfs(Mosser Lee) work?

it could, though i recommend you getting the orchid moss from Lowes, as it is a higher quality of sphag. I bought a bag of LFS from mosser lee once....ONCE. the LFS from that brand is littered with unwanted vegetation and the moss already looks heavily broken down. but if you happen to grab a good bag of moss from mosser lee, go for it!

alpina does not truly grow dormant. it does have a period of slowed growth where leaves are sporadic, and energy is devoted to tubers....
The Orchidioides will periodically go thru a rest mode. During this time is when they are most susceptible to anaerobic conditions & too much water. While U. alpina is probably the most tolerant (followed by U. asplundii), this phase is when many people lose their plants (from what I've observed).

I'm still horrible at detecting when a plant is resting real-time but often notice that a plant hasn't been doing much for a few months after it starts growing again. Using a really airy mix that keeps anaerobic conditions far away - helps me avoid the destruction that comes from keeping a plant too wet.

I agree with Amp's observation that your media is "dense and compact" - not a good thing....

Back