What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Genlisea aurea

After idling one year, my genlisea is thriving !

Im very happy :) Had to share !

8525511888_30d9fb84a4_b.jpg

8524395665_fb7faf8e60_b.jpg

Thanks for watching :)

Last edited:
yes, this is true. im sad now :(

What was the chances?
A subulata flower in a genlisea aurea pot! The flower are almost the same!

I have subulata flowers now :( how the f*** this can happen ?? i never buy or trade that specie !

It just happens... Mother Nature finds a way.

Last edited:
Can you just tell mother nature my greenhouse is private, and next time she have to find another way!

Maiden, I am so sorry for your sudden disappointment. It's good to see that the Genlisea is at least alive, and seems to be doing OK.

That photo sequence made me LAUGH, though. I needed that. Yes, alas, it's the Utric. I don't understand, though, how I can't seem to keep U. subulata alive. I've had it sent, deliberately and not, many times, and each time it disappears. Grrr! I actually want that species is the bog and other places.

Happy growing!

Lil Stinkpot lol

Yeah i think my genlisea doing well, look healthy to me, but im looking for the flowers. Maybe this summer !

Thanks for the reply anyway hehe

Last edited:
Update !! The plant is now a clump of many genlisea :)

I clean all the subulata, the most i can.

8808304114_4aaf8bb9c4_b.jpg

8808302000_b8e8b6c488_b.jpg

8808300146_56effb6e60_b.jpg

:)

I hate you right now.....
You and your stupid awesome genlisea....

:p

Seriously though, that looks really good! My hats off to you. I have not had a chance to grow Genlisea yet but I have heard they can be fickle (at least some). My complements to the chef er... gardener!

Is any of that subulata up for trade :)

I love your plant. Have you ever considered growing your plant in a manner in which the traps would be visible. There is information on this in the Savage Garden.

Thanks,
Kenny

Utricularia: LOL thanks for the compliment :)

Its a nice plant, easy grower if you keep the water level very high.

Entherptogoly: yes. But i have this plant since almost 2 years, and almost no new grown in the first year. So i just wanted to save the plant. Now the plant(s) grow nicely, i will consider growing it in a glass pot ! I think i will wait for a flower before.

Have you had a chance to check out Andreas Fleischmann's new book/monograph on the genus? It is definitely worth looking at. Great photos!

Last edited:
No? Do you have a link ?

I sent you a PM to both amazon and Redfern. I am not sure if links to books are ok here or not.

I know that setup! Slotted pot resting on the edge of the pumpkin shaped glass container in a windowsill. Excellent choice!

Hehe nice setup. :) nice genlisea too!
What species do you have? i cannot see on your labels

Last edited:
I clean all the subulata, the most i can.
Usually this approach will not work as the remnants of the U. subulata in the clump of Genlisea will eventually spread. When I've received contaminated plants, I usually try to propagate with a leaf. If I cannot get that to work, then I try a small sprig of plant & root which is repeatedly washed so nothing foreign is sticking to it.

U. subulata & bisquamata can be very difficult to get out of a collection if you allow them to get established. Good luck.

"When I've received contaminated plants, I usually try to propagate with a leaf"

Good technic :)

But i dont want to remove all the subulata, i have a big pot just for this genus, i just dont want any roots competition with my gen. I will just reclean each 2-3 months.

Anyway, you are right, its almost impossible to remove all the subulata from my collection ! And i had this plant for free, never paid for this lol. It came with my genlisea or stylidium, not sure.

Back