Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Utricularia from seed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
    LOL i will ship your seed this week. From Montréal to Ca, maybe 6-7 days, not so bad!
    That would be some kind of record. Every package I have ever received from Canada has taken a really long time (up to a little over a month). Not sure why.
    Edit: the germination rate is quite low... But not impossible. As you can see on my calycifida givaway thread, pokie22 and some others have some sprouts, but its kinda hard.
    Well, I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. Do you have any particular suggestions not covered in that thread?
    Edit2: do you have some experience with this specie?
    I do not, it would be wise to assume you are sending them off to be guinea pigs in the home lab of an evil mad scientist- it's possible that they are doomed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL i will ship your seed this week. From Montréal to Ca, maybe 6-7 days, not so bad!

Edit: the germination rate is quite low... But not impossible. As you can see on my calycifida givaway thread, pokie22 and some others have some sprouts, but its kinda hard.

Edit2: do you have some experience with this specie?
    Hey Maiden,
    The seeds arrived today! Thanks a lot- I am pretty excited to give it a shot. I went ahead the threw them into a sterile petri dish with some RO water- at least for now but I was thinking of trying the cotton ball trick. Might pour some agar and throw a few on it too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice!
    Hope you will have a good germination rate !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't remember about how fresh the seeds I received were, but at least germinating U. asplundii is pretty easy as growing it from seeds. U. calycifida seeds are also a good choice to start growing Utrics from seeds.

9th of August 2012

3rd of January 2013

Pot's diameter is about 4 cm.

Wonder if they start to grow more rapidly after I repot them in sphagnum based mix.
    Carnivorous Garden Blog - Carnivorous plants hobbyist from the land of thousands of lakes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D.W. Those are incredible. I am tempted to order some seeds and try to repeat your experiment there. How long did they take to germinate?

@Maiden: I wanted to pop in and let you know, I have not seen any action out of those seeds yet, though I did accidently let them get on the dry side before sowing on peat. I am hoping I did not kill them.... I ended up washing some peat according to the Tamlin Dawnstar/growsundews.com method (which I am finding out is a Godsend!) and sowing them on 2 parts peat one part course sand. Still waiting- we will see how it goes. I have a BCP order in the works, I may throw some more utric seeds in there for kicks.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good results DW! I have been really interested in utrics for awhile now. Never attempted to grow from seed, but look foward to more positive results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Utri: ok maybe the seeds are hard to germinate.. Some users here got germinations, even one with 20/20, but it was invitro.

Did you sow the whole bag ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Utri: ok maybe the seeds are hard to germinate.. Some users here got germinations, even one with 20/20, but it was invitro.

Did you sow the whole bag ?
    I did end up sowing the whole bag- hindsight is 20/20 (Wish I had done at least some in vitro....). How long did it take you to see some germination? It seems to me we are still within the realm of possibility- looking at your other thread it seems people started reporting back about 2+ months in which would be about where I am now. I will keep a closer eye out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast